London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
9 messages
19/04/2013 at 10:29

Hello,

I have lots of sweet peas ready to go out and two celmatis. I really fancy something like this growing up beside the patio doors - does anyone know whether either of these would be ok in a pot against a south facing wall? If so, any ideas about pot size - I have a 30 cm diameter plant pot...

I have read that sweet peas like a bit of depth and clematis like cool roots, so not sure about this. I'd risk it for a biscuit with a couple of sweetpeas, but not my clematis!

Thanks

19/04/2013 at 11:09

Sweet Peas will be perfectly fine in a south facing pot. I have done this again this year.

As for Clematis, this will also be fine BUT I would emphasise to cover the roots with either a good layer of mulch (Bark chippings are perfect) or Stones will help keep the roots cool.

19/04/2013 at 11:11

Oh thanks - I've got tonnes of stones!

What sort of size pot do you put your seet peas in? No idea how big they get at all to be honest.

19/04/2013 at 17:11

Sweet Peas will grow to about 8 feet or more if they have the space to climb.

I would recommend a largish pot for the sweet peas so they can maximise they're potential.

19/04/2013 at 20:36

I use the large double handled pots that trees are grown in ,in GCs, with a wigwam of canes. Very important to water very regularly or will brown off. Keep feeding with tomorite

01/06/2013 at 08:07

I have 2 pots of sweet peas only 8 ins across 10 ins deep, they're looking good at the momoent, tho don't think pots big enough? should i move to bed or bigger pots or will i damage by moving? any advice v welcome, am determined this year to get lots of sweet peas never succeeded before!

04/06/2013 at 07:12

They won't stay looking good for long Louise, I'd move them as soon as you can. Just be as gentle as you can, you may not be able to separate the roots too much at this stage but they will do better out of those small pots. You could put them into a big container if you have one, I grow some in a large pot up a wigwam every year and they do well. I feed them a couple of times a week and add bfb or growmore to the mp compost I grow them in.

The best ones for me grow in the ground so if you have that option I'd got of it, perhaps do 1 load of plants in the ground and the other in a big container. Good luck, they're wonderful plants producing smashing highly scented blooms depending on the type, I've been growing them for many years.

08/06/2013 at 14:57

thanks ladygardener, i did move them to a bed and they're looking good

08/06/2013 at 18:54

Sweet peas are reaching up fast for the sun on my north-facing fence, they'll grow even faster up your wall  The bigger the pots the better.

I also have a concrete s-facing patio 2 clematis in pots, the viticella looks spectacular every year, whereas the montana - deemed to grow anywhere - clearly needs planting out as it looks poorly, even in a large pot. I will use that tip on stones tho - thanks Mattbeer87

email image
9 messages