Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet Peppers

JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

I usual grow a few sweet pepper plants each year. They are mainly kept on my conservatory windowsill and go outside when the weathers fine.

This is the first year that I want to try and grow them from seed - I know they take a few weeks to germinate

Just wondering what's the earliest I can start the first batch off?

(I have a non-heated propogater and a hydroponic light)

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Thanks Edd,

Never heard that before about 2 in a pot - I have yellow, red and purple varieties so I can imagine it looking quite visually pleasing as well.

I'll concentrate on sowing my parsley and hold off on the peppers for another few weeks - just hoping a non-heated propagator in the house will be warm enough to germinate. 

Thanks Phillipa,

I remember from last year - it certainly took it's time but was ready to go into coldframe by end of March, plant out by mid April and I'm still harvesting the last of it now that managed to overwinter (still use it at least weekly in Italian pasta dishes).

I have read about soaking the seeds in warm water and soap for an hour then soaking overnight in initially hot water before completely drying and then planting.

I've got my old baby room thermometer out and it's sitting at 21C at the moment (think when I've got the light on it may be a little warmer) but I've had the heating on today and temp will probably drop a bit overnight.

I'll let you know if the soaking speeds things up this year or not.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Jonesk, how did you manage to get them through the winter?

Thanks Chris - Had a good read. Think I'm going to try to keep them as pot plants that I can bring indoors on cooler/wetter days (I am theorising that my youngest 16month old toddler will go along with this plan!!!). From what I read it was mainly people living in hotter climates that planted out Peppers.

I'll keep you updated on the parsley Phillipa - going to try and pot up tonight.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Thanks, Philippa!

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

You can start them now, or a few weeks later. Without heat they may take a long while to germinate, but keep them in the propagator to keep in humidity and if possible place in a warm place such as an airing cupboard. The main problem with an early start is the short days, so they will get leggy. 

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

Thanks for all the advice philippa and pansyface.

I now have the dilemma of whether to spray to get rid of critters or cut down as philippa does. I will soon (I hope!) get round to starting my seed sowing and taking cuttings which all happens in the conservatory. I don't want to risk new seedlings getting infested.

Is it too late to cut the pepper back?

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

My sweet pepper now has new leaves growing.image However, it also has new critters on it.image Stood it outside for a while today. I hope this toughens it up a bit!