Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet William seedlings

cromarcromar Posts: 4

I have just potted up a batch of self-set seedlings from this years Sweet Williams and will over-winter them in my polytunnel. They are about 5cm in height. All the literature indicates that s/w grown from seed should be planted out as well established plants by end-September. My query is - will my seedlings flower next year if planted out in late spring.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,027

Yes they will, mine did. Water them in well, they may flower a little later. Earlier spring might be better if you can manage it.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Hope it's ok to butt in here.  Related question.  I bought some wallflower plants recently and have just planted them.  They were bare root and extremely leggy with no sign of branching lower down.  Should I cut them down a bit?  Pinching out does not seem applicable.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Plant them deep (as you would any other brassica) and just pinch out the tips - I know they look leggy now but they will bush out. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you, Dove.

• I've grown Sweet William from seed for the first time this year. They are a biennial aren't they ?

I've left some in pots in my mini greenhouse, planted some in a clay planter which is sitting outside my front door, and planted some out in the garden.

I'm interested to see which ones do best and flower first. image