Start a new thread

1 to 3 of 3 replies

My sweetpeas plugs are ready to be planted out now. What soil is best for them? they will go in v large pots & be trained on a tall cone.  And do they need full sun ? 

thankyou  

I've grew them in two different places in my garden over the last few years and had good results either way.

I've had them in full afternoon sun up against a fence in a pretty shallow planter (around 6 inches which is too shallow really) - I gave them (when I remembered!) a good soak every week or every couple of days in very hot weather and a feed every fortnight with whatever was to hand (either tomato feed or fish blood/bone) and come the height of summer you could not see the fence for blooms.

They did yellow off and die a little quicker than I'd have liked - My less than attentive watering/feeding regime combined with baking in a plastic planter in tired compost probably did that!

I've also grown them in the ground in a part of the garden which only gets morning sun and is in shade the rest of the day. These also put on a good show. Not quite as profuse but they lasted longer and looked that bit lusher - I'm guessing the better nutrients in the soil, more depth for roots and water retention compensated for less sunlight.

Somewhere between the two should give great results - plenty of depth, food, water and a good bit of sun - I think a spot that avoids the midday sun would be fine, especially in a container. Any half decent compost should do the job so long as you keep a regular feeding routine.

oh, thankyou Bob, this is just what I needed, great!