London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
09/10/2013 at 22:05

Hi all, what a lovely Summer it has been. My garden certainly has benefited from it!

But I have a dilemma

I have all my spring bulbs ready to go in the ground but I do not want to destroy the lovely plants that myself and the bees still enjoy.

My bulbs are in the cupboard in the downstairs loo which is unheated and stays below room temperature (if only by a few degrees)

What are peoples opinions?

Should I leave my garden be until we get some frost or should I dig it out and get my bulbs in?

09/10/2013 at 22:17

I'd try and get some planted Matt. The weather changes so suddenly, it's doing it right now here in East Anglia, temperature dropping, wind getting up. Once that happens the insects start to disappear, the summer flowers don't look so good any more and you're out there in a cold wind planting bulbs. 

09/10/2013 at 22:27

Maybe I'll have to try planting right near them :P

The garden still looks so incredible.

But it is getting cold, just went outside and temp says 9c and the wind is icy cold

I cannot plant until Saturday at the earliest anyway, lets see what the garden looks like then

09/10/2013 at 22:33

Some of my garden still looks too good to destroy. So I'm planting the bulbs where it doesn't look so good

09/10/2013 at 22:40

I wish I had a big enough garden to have other places to plant them 

10/10/2013 at 10:12

I do know what you mean Matt, I've still got lots of colour. I've been trying to squeeze in some smaller spring bulbs like crocus and grape hycantihs around the base of plants that I know won't be there or in growth next spring. Not so good if you've got bigger bulbs to plant though

10/10/2013 at 10:13

Forgot to say, planting bulbs in the very cold weather isn't much fun and a lot more hardwork

10/10/2013 at 10:50

Once you have got the repeat bulbs in - daffs., crocus and so on, the other plants you love will continue to grow over them until the cold takes its natural toll.  It is surprising how close you can dig a little deep hole to drop a bulb in, without the overground plant making any problem of it - in future years of course you won't have the problem as the bulbs will already be there.  Daffs especially need to get in now or they will not flower next Spring, tulips can wait a good while yet, and the small ones -scillas, chionodoxias etc. wont mind much either way. 

10/10/2013 at 11:08

As others my garden is  full, choc a bloc with perennials not ready to give up yet.  I wouldn't dig anything up yet or try to guess where to cram them in.  I planted  my bulbs in pots.  They will go in the garden then in the right spot.   Too much foliage to see properly where they should go.  Get some compost Matt and pot them up.  leave them outside and you can pop them in when amd where you want to throughout the winter.  They will perform just as well.

10/10/2013 at 12:29

Yes, I have mine all potted up too, some 3,200 bulbs bought recently! Hope to keep about 20% of these which will give me a supply for next year and so on while hope to recover some of the outlay with sales at car boot sales and fares next year.

10/10/2013 at 13:14

Blimey that's a lotta bulbs AJK. 

Yes, you could  make some cash in the spring.  Good idea.  The polyanthus you referred to in another thread would sell well too if you pot up into 9 cm pots

10/10/2013 at 13:38
10/10/2013 at 15:36

Just a few more to add to the collection Verdun! Have gone for some Fritillaria as have never tried these before along with other summer flowering Ixia and varieties of snowdrop (Russian), Crocus (Tricolour) and Narcissi. Also a few hundred anenome.

It was fun planting them up in pots! 

10/10/2013 at 15:39

I think you win for the most bulbs planted this year, AJK

10/10/2013 at 15:50

It's a long term plan for retirement!!

Just hope they all do well but experience so far has been good with the Narcissi minnows, eucomis, arum lilys and muscari. Just running out of space so sdomething will have to give soon!

10/10/2013 at 18:32

Tried to post from my phone at work, epic fail.

The plants in question are all annuals which were grown from seed or bought cheap so its more of a sentimental thing as I havent been gardening for very long

They are Cosmos, Zinnias and Cineraria.

I've decided to get them out and give the bulbs a chance to get they're roots down before its too cold.

Looking forward to getting them in now

10/10/2013 at 18:34

and plus there are still plenty of other plants in the garden that look great 

10/10/2013 at 18:48

It's always tricky deciding when to pull stuff out Matt. I'm loathe to empty the last sweetpea pot just because so many insects are still enjoying the flowers. Sometimes you have to be ruthless if you need the room though! 

10/10/2013 at 19:20

The bees seemed to have disappeared now its gotten so cold so I wont have to feel so guilty.

My Dahlias, Begonias, Geraniums, Autumn pots still all look great so I'm not too bothered.

I have lots of Giant Alliums to plant as well as Daffs, Tulips and Calla Lillies

10/10/2013 at 21:14

Sounds like a good plan, you can always grow those annuals again next year

I've been adding to my spring show for the last couple of years and you can't beat spring bulbs for a great show that only gets better

1 to 20 of 32 messages