Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tesco trees. 2 for £10. Good offer or not?

cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

Just seen Apple and pear trees in Tesco at £10 for two. Is this good value? They are about 5 feet tall. Not sure of the root stock

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Ten pounds for two fruit trees is very cheap but you don't really know what you are getting.  If you are on a limited budget and want fruit trees it is a cheap way of getting them.  BUT fruit trees are an investment for the future and if you want specific varieties I would pay more to get the varieties that you really want.  Do some research with the offer varieties.  Remember that they need a pollinator.  If you live in an area with lots of gardens there will probably be suitable pollinators nearby.  If very rural then maybe not.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Tesco’s own Dobbies though duck image

I think they might be Frank Matthews M9 stock, Dobbies just took a massive shipment of the Apple trees and I was wondering where the M9 was, they don’t have them on the website either.  Frank Matthews or not at that price I’d take a punt and stick them in pots. 

Last edited: 20 January 2018 12:11:27

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Cox's Orange Pippin is not the easiest apple to grow ... it can really sulk if it doesn't like its conditions ... however it can be a very tasty apple if grown well and if you like it it's well worth having a go ... it needs a pollination partner growing nearby from the right group  in order to produce fruit 

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1086 

Conference pears are self-fertile and will produce well without a pollination partner 

A bargain is only a bargain if it's something you want image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Wish I’d read this before I went out, I would have called into Tesco for the pear trees, fruit doesn’t grow well here but worth a try at that price.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511
    Freddies Dad says:

Tesco sold Dobbies in 2016, it has been a totally independent company since.

Lidl and Aldi also sell trees and they are often at that price for £5-£10 each. I have found that they get mislabeled: my Cox turned out to be a sour baking apple, the Stella Cherry some sort of Pipin looking apple. I use them as pleached screens and spring flowers, the fruit is an extra TBH and often just left for the birds.

See original post

Not surprising.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.