Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

the best buy

My best buy was and is the bay tree I got for £1.5o in a small pot some 10years or more ago. I thought I would lose it in the winter and the hard ones of late I thought would see it become weak and die,not a bit of it ,it still is doing fine and I did take some cuttings from it once.I think perhaps because it is next to the patio and in a dip,that this has given  it shelter.As always it is the bargain plant that I find so interesting,to see it thrive and survie is always a thrill.Many chuck out plants at the supermarket I have brought back to life and seems more than if I bought a expensive one.what s your favorite buy or find.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

I don't have a particular favourite as a lot of my plants are rescues. It just made me laugh to remember one neighbour in London who was a member of the RHS and was forever going to Wisley and buying the creme de la creme of plants. All her super-duper, top of the range, cost-a-mint plants died while my knock-off, near-as-dammit copies ran riot.

There's a lesson in there somewhere but I'm not sure what it is.image

• I think your right.even indoor plants that i rescued are bargains ,in away I suppose the nursing back to health is what I like ,since that was my job(humans) .image

• I'm always raiding the Plant Rescue stand at garden centres and have had quite a lot of luck.It's a very cost-effective way to buy perennials, which should come up the following year with a bit of TLC.  A few years ago I bought a Brunnera "Jack Frost" which was close to death in Homebase and I have divided it several times since - the silvery leaves look fantastic pretty much all year round. People are always asking me what it is. On another rescue mission,  I saved a wonderful Astrantia with variegated leaves which is stunning - the flowers are pretty but the leaves look like they have been dipped in white paint. (Sounds horrible but looks great next to purple heuchera leaves). I took a bit of a leap of faith in spring, buying what looked like a pot of soil. The label promised me a Solomon's Seal and I could see healthy roots in the compost. I planted it and it has romped away. And this summer I bought a rather crowded Veronica which had gone over, but hopefully will give me lovely white flowers next summer. I divided it into three and it looks like I may need to divide them again before I plant them out this Autumn. So, not just one plant for half the price, but possibly six or more!

We have to be patient, we canny money-saving plant rescuers, but it sure is worth it. I'm sure I have saved hundreds of pounds over the years, as it really is only worth growing perennials in my shady garden and they can be very expensive