Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Thinking of growing a Cob Nut tree

Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I am thinking about planting a cob nut tree. - I have the space.

I would like to hear of experiences with them - recommended varieties, length of time before I have a harvest, pruning, downfalls etc, pollination

Thanks for help

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Question 1. Are there grey squirells in the vicinity. If so, dont bother. I have quite a few hazels in the hedge. They set nuts every year. Every year the squirrels eat them before they are ripe enough  for us to eat.

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    The contorted variety is more interesting and sets nuts too but if you want to get bean poles as well then this would obviously not be the best choice.
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Was aiming for a nut harvest - mmmmm squirrels, a couple around but not overrun with them

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I only see squirrels for a few weeks a year. Hazel nuts, walnuts, acorns, then they're off.

Except in a hard winter when they come for the peanuts

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Last year was the first time the squirrels didn't nick my hazelnuts - I expect they'll be back as per normal this autumn though!  If I were to plant another cob, it would be a purple leaved filbert (aka red filbert.)  Smaller nut crop but much more attractive foliage (which is all I usually get to enjoy!)  Chris Bowers (who posts on this forum) has a good range of all types to choose from.  Matty, just one squirrel will strip a tree - they just take them, bury them and return until there are none left.. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I have four large hazels in my garden,  and at least three red squirrels in the area, the nuts are for the squirrels which i have great fun watching.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

How lovely Andrew.  Worth having them just for that reason alone   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...