Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Thinning seedlings

I know that to most this would be a stupid question but- I sowed some cornflower and  and nigella seeds. I think that I did far too many. How do I thin out them? Can I just pull some out and about how close can the ones I leave be?

Here they are

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag97/Bev_Pounsett-Krynauw/0323-06-13_zps92c2d2cd.jpg

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Thin by easing out the weak ones to leave stronger plants 3 inch apart.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Bev, neither look like Nigella to me. Agree with FB. Can't tell if they are in a tray or modules, if in modules just leave 2 in each & split when ready to plant out.

Looking better than my Gypso..thingies..

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

They could be cornflower, some types do look tlike this, at least the ones my friend grew on her allotment a couple of years ago were like this in their trays.  Thin out to a couple per module, and plant aout. then let them sort themselves out - they will.  Do take out the weakest and thinnest looking, as the bigger ones will take over and grow strongly anyway. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If you look in the bottom of the tray with the light greenplants there's something that could be Nigella leaves

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The pic obviously isn't very good. They are all planted straight into a large container (with an apple tree in the middle) outside. I just sprinkled seed on.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I can see the tree trunk nowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I use peat pots to sow things in and use heat to get them going. It makes thinning a thing of the past as well as allows you to have more plants from the same packet of seeds. The peat pots do dry out quicker than normal pots but I think it is a better way?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Bev Pounsett-Krynauw wrote (see)

The pic obviously isn't very good. They are all planted straight into a large container (with an apple tree in the middle) outside. I just sprinkled seed on.

Oh, well about half a dozen would probably have been enough then - never mind - give them a good soaking, tease some out gently and firm the others in.  If you've got somewhere suitable the thinnings may well cope with being replanted if you give them a bit of tlc. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you everyone.image  I will be out later sorting them out.