London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
7 messages
15/03/2014 at 00:25

This strange and wonderful weather system.

I was a bit under the weather today. Somehow, I just felt that I couldn’t wake myself up. Having taken care of my domestic chores, a visit to the supermarket, then I felt even tired’er. However I ventured out onto my estate, 70x20ft plot. I gave the greenhouse stock a watering. Lilies are growing hard and fast. Temp is 70 deg. F. Not only are the plants waking up. The alpines and fuchsias. Several fuchsias are in bud, the odd one or two already in flower. For the moment, I seem to halted Mr slug in his tracks. However the lilies are playing host to greenfly. So a good spraying. Glancing around. I am wondering where on earth I am going to put all my seeds? Outside in the garden. Wow! My roses are rushing ahead. Due to health and weather, I haven’t even begun pruning, yet many HT’s are reaching for the sky. The climbers along the fence are growing so fast, that before very long, they will be halfway across the garden. What’s this? NO! Yes there are some roses already baring flower buds. Hey Mr greenfly has woke up also. So a good spraying of the roses takes place. The Ribes are in flower, also the Viburnum opulas is at flower break. The assorted collection of daff’s and hyacinths add their fragrance and colour. On the pond island. Various polyanthus are in full bloom as they are around the garden. I have two, perhaps three different cultivars of snowdrops, all are flowering fine, The campanula carpatica is in flower, this seems to compliment the garden all year ‘round. I always enjoy seeing the lung-wort in flower and also the celandines. In fact I prefer the celandine to the common buttercup. The whole garden is looking good. Hey I have forgotten to add this. What makes the English garden, apart from plants. It has got to be the song birds and the sound of running water. When you stop and think. Life. This planet. Creation. Truly, what more could we ask for.

15/03/2014 at 06:02

How lovely to hear your garden described so beautifully Mike - I was there looking around with you 

15/03/2014 at 06:49

Hear, hear, well said Mike. Your garden sounds lovely.

15/03/2014 at 08:38

Nice post Mike 

15/03/2014 at 20:38

Well described, Mike. I really enjoyed the 'walkaround' in your spring garden! So glad that you mentioned the birdsong - such a feature of spring mornings right now in West Wales (as elsewhere). Hope the slight 'wobble' in your personal health balance readjusts quickly.

15/03/2014 at 20:50

What a lovely post Mike and loved hearing about your garden.  It goes perfectly with my favourite song of today - What a Wonderful World  Hope your health gets better and you can tend to your roses. 

18/03/2014 at 16:15

Thank you all.  As I live upstairs.  Val used to keep an eye on me from the kitchen window.  So often she would say what a pretty garden we had.  Plus our tiny visitors alway seem to feel safe in here.  I wonder what she would say now, to the new design and her favourites, the roses.  I must sort some photo's out.

email image
7 messages