Start a new thread

181 to 198 of 198 replies

To add some balance to this thread, I've bought from T&M a number of times - often the GW magazine pay postage only offers. Had a couple of problems, spoke to them on the phone and quickly resolved. 

Plants did arrive this time but did not survive (leaves fallen off in package).  Wrote three emails - got no reply.  Phoned - very nice young lady promised to pass refund details on. 13 days later phoned to say refund not arrived.  Told to hang on a few more days.  Still waiting.  Will NOT order from T&M again.

Sad to say joining the queue for non deliveries. Ordered in March for April delivery - then going to be May - then going to be June and now SEPTEMBER.  Needless to say now cancelled. Will now struggle to find anything for the area planned- thanks a bunch T & M!!. Wish I read this forum before ordering.

Ordered other plants from one of their Dutch named competitors at the same time and went like clockwork - lesson learned!

I have to agree with all the people who have had terrible service, as mine was appauling. I also join the queue for non-deliveries and wasted time and money trying to resolve. It is not because you used Tesco Club card vouchers and were second class. Even people who pay with money are worse than second class- we are millionth class and so not really exist as far as their "customer service" is concerned.

I suggest that you tell everyone that you know to avoid this company like the plague They are so abysmal that they do not deserve to be in business.

i ordered from them, arrived on time, one plant damaged, emailed them and got a reply within half hour, sent a picture and they are replacing plant, can't complain 

Advertisement

I bought plugs from T&M this year and immediately potted them up. At the moment i have Erigeron and Foxglove dalmations in flower from theirs plugs. I lost a few Echinaceas to slugs but others will probably flower next year. I found they are slow reply to emails but i can't complain for the bargain price i paid for their plugs.

I've had a dreadful season with T&M. 
I've ordered a good amount of plants; many have arrived in poor condition and I've complained, frequently. The latest batch to arrive ( two packs) were missing some of the advertised plants...and a couple of plants were also dead.
I messaged T&M and all I got was the offer of a £5 voucher code towards another order. I complained about this as no way do I want to place any more orders. I was told that if I couldn't accept this ' gesture of goodwill' then tough...there would be no alternative. I have further expressed my disgust as I didn't get what I paid for! 
T&M obviously forget the power of the Internet!
I am disgusted at the service this year and I can honestly say that there are other plant providers that are far more superior with the quality of the plants and the customer service.
I shall not order from T&M, ever again!

Doghouse Riley

Well here's my latest experience of  a problem with T&M. To be fair, for us in the  past,  they've always "done the right thing."

In 2015 we bought two Gardenias, (no change out of £25) they didn't thrive so I complained about them in 2016 including a photo with my e-mail of them in their sorry state.

They replaced them in early  2017, but again these have done no better. So last week I e-mailed them  again enclosing a photo of these poorly performing plants. I told them I'd tried my best and usually with the many plants we'd bought from them over the years and are still buying (two outstanding orders)  we never have any problems, but in this case I wanted a refund.

The response I got wasn't what I wanted, no refund, just this advice.

Choose a sheltered spot, away from wind, in a partially shaded location. The ideal spot has morning sun and afternoon shade, especially during the hottest months, so choose the location with care.

Gardenias like an acid soil (pH below 6.0), so test you soil and add plenty of lime-free organic material when preparing the planting spot. Well-rotted pine-bark is ideal, but other composts are also suitable.

Even if you find your soil is not acidic enough, you can still grow Gardenia by using a special fertilizer called chelated iron, which you water onto your plant and soil in spring and again in late summer. This will keep the leaves a rich, dark green, and your plant strong, healthy and flowering well.

Alternatively, plant your gardenia in a container, using potting soil for acid-loving plants. Gardenias make great pot plants, and a plant in a container is also easy to move around to get the correct amount of sun exposure. In a pot, it can also be brought inside when the temperatures are too low, even if you only have an unheated porch for shelter.

Mulch Gardenia in spring with pine bark, compost or peat-moss and keep it well-watered. Gardenias like plenty of water, so never let the soil become dry around your plant. Water whenever the soil begins to dry on the surface, but don’t water your plant so much that it is constantly in wet soil.

Use a fertilizer for acid-loving plants, applied in early spring and again 6 weeks later, or use a liquid gardenia fertilizer according to the directions. Do not fertilize in late summer or autumn, as new growth will be more susceptible to frost.

I do hope this helps.  Please get in touch if you have any other queries.

Not being happy with that I e-mailed them  again,

We had all that information  before and neither of them survived.

Our garden is full of azaleas and rhodos, check out this video,(link attached),  there’s a lot of  your plants in it, so we know how to look after them and similar plants.

We’ve tried our best  but to no avail. I’d like you to refund my money. There’s been a few uncomplimentary comments about your firm's service lately on the Gardener’s World Message board. But I’ve always praised you service.

Don’t disappoint me now.

Regards,

They've e-mailed me back today telling me they've now refunded my money.

Result!

Last edited: 06 August 2017 17:23:08

Peopledrivemenuts

The unfortunate thing about Thompson and Morgan is they are no longer Thompson and Morgan. They are now owned by BVG Airflo Group Ltd. The group are a multi channel retailer with various avenues such as fishing tackle, sporting supplements, footwear/ clothing and home/ garden products. This creates the problem in that with any larger company it all comes down to turnover and profits so customer care often goes out of the window. They will blag you until you cannot be bothered to fight them anymore over a low cost item so they can maintain their profits. You can threaten legal action against them (or going to Trading Standards) using the distance selling regulations but the regulations are not black and white when it comes to perishable items so you will often be wasting time and breath.

Saying that, being a grower and a smaller online plant retailer, people should realise that with many plants it is not just about what’s on top, its often about what’s below. Little or poor growth on top does not always mean an unhealthy or poor quality plant. Many plants do not like having root restriction so will often have poorly performing top growth when grown in a plug or small 9cm pot. This means that it just needs to be released from its root restriction and, then, will suddenly rocket away. As for T&M’s dispatch times, they can be incredibly slow (I get shouted at if something is not dispatched within three days despite advertising 5 day dispatch) but are we not gardeners? Are we not meant to be the patient ones in a technologically impatient world of *I want it the day before I ordered it*??

Can't help but agree with the above.  25 years ago T & M were a good company - often in the forefront with new and interesting seeds/plants.  

Re the importance of  "what's below"  -  hopefully you are preaching to the converted in many instances  but in this day and age, if something doesn't "do" instantly, it is deemed a failure by many new gardeners.

As to " I want it the day before I ordered it " the best reply would be "Yes, I did send it the day before  - must be the PO/Courier at fault ! "  

Bite your tongue I suppose - you will never please some people no matter how hard you try

the simple fact is the name Thompson and Morgan used to mean quality it means just the opposite now

After vowing "never again" .... I recently relented and sent for the 48 plugs of lavender offer - 24 each of mustead and hidcote.

Total cost of £5.95 including postage .... estimated delivery before end Oct.

These arrived last week and are great  ... all potted up and the greenhouse smells gorgeous.

I just thought I should report a happy ending for a change.

Bee

Another Sad story 

Very disappointed with T&M response to my conversation after the delivery of two clematis plants

bought for £15 plus p&p.  The plants were healthy enough but only rooted cuttings height 12 cm.

Winter flowering variety, they arrived two days ago and apparently, after emailing them I was told that they are not expected to flower until 2018. 

I accept that in the advert it was stated that the plants would be in

7cm pots, sorry for the newbie that's not much of a hint,  I should

have read more into that statement but still feel that it should have

made the point re.flowering expectations. So probably a lesson

learned the hard way, just hoping that my remaining rose order will

bring a better result!

If so I'll post a positive comment to balance.

Last edited: 06 November 2017 13:18:57

Dovefromabove

Fredbare ... we live and learn ... I would pot them on into bigger pots for now and plant them out when they're bigger and stronger.  When you do plant them out plant them deeper than they are in the pots ... that way they'll grow lots more shoots from the base and grow even stronger eventually.  

I find that you get more for your money from Taylors http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-decmber-to-february/ , although costing a bit  more initially.

Many thanks for that I'll definitely contact Taylors

Advertisement

fredbare - DFA is right about living and learning - the giveaway is anything sold in a 7 or 9 cm pot is likely to be a titch and will need growing on  Easier when you can see the plant in a nursery/GC but with no visuals, the pot size is easily overlooked in the excitement of purchasing.

If only we were blessed with hindsight

Doghouse Riley
bridgey2016 says:

the simple fact is the name Thompson and Morgan used to mean quality it means just the opposite now

See original post

I disagree. Never had a problem with them that they haven't resolved to my satisfaction.

The latest were these lilies which arrived a bit battered on Saturday, as they weren't packed securely enough.

A polite e-mail expressing my disappointment including a photo of the evidence on Saturday afternoon was answered like this at 9.00am on Sunday morning!

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn this is how your bulbs have arrived.

I can confirm that I have arranged for a replacement pack of bulbs to be sent. These are due to be dispatched by the end of November.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch. 

With best regards,

Thompson & Morgan
Customer Service Team

---------------------------------------------------

Three or four should be OK.

So an excellent result!

Doghouse Riley

The replacements were actually received this morning!

Not "by the end  of November," as advised.

However, they were packed in exactly the same way as the others, but fortunately none were damaged.

I can only guess, these are supplied by a sub-contractor from a  pre-packed stock, so it would be impossible to change that at this stage.

So I'm not complaining.