London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
09/04/2014 at 08:17

I have one that I bought as a perennial three years ago and the new leaves are up and growing fast already. When I bought it at the GW show I was advised by the dealer that they last longer than biennial but won't last that long.

mvl
13/06/2014 at 07:50

break23, at what time of year did you divide them?

13/06/2014 at 08:30

You did better than I did break.

My illumination pink lasted 18 months....beautiful non stop flowers all summer.  Meant to divide in autumn but forgot .  Think the wet winter did for them   My feeling is they are more biennial than perennial but if divided annually and potted will be "perennial" that way 

13/06/2014 at 09:00

I sowed some in May,seeds from Unwins and have lots of little seedlings now.They are Excelsior strain and assume they will reseed as normal?

13/06/2014 at 09:24

Yes, they'll be normal Fishy. 

13/06/2014 at 09:41

My so called perennials died over last winter. I think I'd rather have biennials which self seed and at least fill some gaps. These "illumination" types are move trouble than dahlias!

13/06/2014 at 09:55

They were always doomed, half  the hybrid is tender. I bet a few million were sold though. Good for someone

13/06/2014 at 12:59
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Yes, they'll be normal Fishy. 

Now I know they'll be ok cos you said so nut  

Just thinking about foxgloves and their seeds germinating,I've noticed they seem to produce two pairs of embryonic leaves before their first true leaves.At least it appears that way,the second pair are smooth and only the third display the furriness we associate with foxgloves.Would that be correct or impossible?

Also its interesting to note that as a general rule,plants that produce tiny seeds (foxglove,poppy) have thousands.Clearly evolution drives this factor,plants with bigger seeds tend to have a much higher survival ratio.Of the foxglove seeds I sowed in trays,assuming the packet is correct in stating there are an estimated 3000 seeds in one pack,I sowed roughly half the pack in my trays which would be say,1500 seeds? Of those,I have 16 baby plants so far that have been big enough to pot on,there's maybe about the same again still in the trays (run out of compost).So 32 potential adult foxgloves from 1500 seeds 

13/06/2014 at 13:09

I bought one 'Illumination'  this year. I live in central Scotland so I doubt if it will make it through the winter without lifting it and putting it into the greenhouse. I can always hope.

13/06/2014 at 13:37

I have grown "candy mountain" this year. I think they are a real improvement on the native species. I have over a dozen scattered around the garden, if I paid a fiver a plant it would cost a fortune. £2.69 a packet of seed ... bargain. If you want something lighter, I have found primrose carousel to be good as well.

13/06/2014 at 13:51

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49196.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49197.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

Foxglove "candy mountain" I think they are gorgeous. Glittering prizes are taller and will send up secondary spikes, but most have fallen  over in the heavy rain.

13/06/2014 at 14:31

didnt know they were easy to divide, when is the best time? These are mine grown 2 yrs running from seed

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49198.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

13/06/2014 at 14:36

If your foxgloves are grown from seed then they are biennial and can be grown again from seed or self seeded. We are talking about foxgloves that are sterile ie. cannot be grown from seed. These can only be propagated by division or by root cuttings.

13/06/2014 at 14:40

I bought the new TM foxglove,Early last year grew it on planted out in may,flowered last year,and is flowering again now,It will grow from soft wood cuttings taken in the next couple of months will root easily,and the plant can be split when established,I have used these methods with illumination pink, It is perennial,At the moment there are prettier foxgloves about,but they are bi annual,I still dont know how they will do in a hard winter,and hope it is a while before we find out with the price of fuels,

13/06/2014 at 15:59

I like the biennialness (is that a word) of digitalis gg. They crop up in different places every season. I like that. and they're hardy. But so are other foxglove species;

ferruginea, lutea and grandiflora. I like to see those spread themselves as well. Much better than nurturing something that doesn't want to live in the uk

13/06/2014 at 20:21

Hello, I bought a sterile foxglove today and was advised I could create more by root division. As a bit of a novice gardener could someone explain this to me please? Would it be the sam as root cutting or just dividing the plant up in Autumn via normal division.

Many Thanks 

13/06/2014 at 20:38

Division I should think emmajanie. Which foxglove did you buy?

mvl
16/06/2014 at 20:52

Hi break23

Thanks for the info - will give it a try.

19/06/2014 at 11:34

Are yours self-seeded Gina? I have some in my small front garden but disappointingly they are not as tall as last year's. 

Do foxgloves like to be fed? I tend to starve mine as I always imagine they grow on quite poor soil in the wild, but I could be completely wrong!!

email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages