London (change)
Mon 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 39 messages
28/02/2013 at 19:26

So they never set seed, however with normal foxgloves you can use root division to increase stock, think it'll work? (Or do you want me to take the plunge and let you all know? )

28/02/2013 at 19:35

I have some being delivered in April so would really like to know

28/02/2013 at 20:08

I've taken seeds from last year's foxgloves and they've grown to plants in pots which I'll put out in March but the original plants haven't kept going. I think I'm going to have to do this every year.

28/02/2013 at 20:11

British foxgloves, of course, are biennial, flowering in the second year and then dying. Perennial foxgloves can be grown from seed, too. I have looked for a method of taking cuttings, but perhaps these do not succeed.

28/02/2013 at 20:12

Dahlia slave, are we talking about the same plant? These new perenial foxgloves I understood to be sterile. The traditional foxglove doesn't last very long, but self seeds (even into pea sized gravel)

28/02/2013 at 20:16
The new foxgloves, illumination pink, are supposedly truly perennial. Got mine last autumn and they're growing fast. I would expect to be able to plait them, maybe next year. I believe they are sterile so no seed production. Artjak, they look vigorous enough and Im fairly confident they will flower this summer. Learning slowly, you're not,thinking of splitting these soon are you?
28/02/2013 at 20:32

Digitalis grandiflora and digitalis lutea are short-lived perennials that can be propagated from seed. Newer hybrid  foxgloves tend to be sterile but apparently not all of them are, for example Polkadot Polly.

28/02/2013 at 20:49

I have just received the new foxglove and look forward to seeing how they do.  The plants received certainly look healthy enough and as Verdun says they are supposedly perrenial and sterile so wont swamp the garden.

28/02/2013 at 21:37

yes, yes,  we all know about the biennial, which is NOT what we are talking here, I'm talking about the NEW perennial which produces no seeds at all, however, as you can propagate biennials by root division at the 1st year stage, I'm wondering if it's possible to get extras without it costing £3 a plant!!

28/02/2013 at 23:10

In theory yes BrummieBen, I have a biennial, and have sown seed from it last year, plus I have some Apricot seeds thanks to Bev, I am also having some plants delivered in a month. I am hoping that once I have a few different ones I can do some root division aswell as seed spreading so I have quite a few of them every year. 

28/02/2013 at 23:55
Brummieben, yes I think you will be able to split these new perennial foxgloves. That's what I intend doing in a couple of years
01/03/2013 at 00:18

excellent, I'll be buying both sorts, there is the pink and the gold, be nice if we can keep up to date with these 'miracles' lol! More to the point, come autumn, can we get more plants! Look forward to seeing the results. regards

01/03/2013 at 08:44
I'm envious BrummieBen, I've only got the pink ones but the gold look good. Just checked mine and they have filled their 1 litre pots so potting on again in a few moments. I agree it will be good to compare notes on their progress and our opinions of them during the season. We can compare all the hype with reality.
01/03/2013 at 18:25
Bugger. They floer the pop their clogs? I thought tgey kept coming back
01/03/2013 at 19:26
Sam, the new foxgloves DO keep coming back. That's why they are different.
05/06/2013 at 22:00

Errrmm.... mine all died - T & M have offered me replacements - "Which" report that they are not true perennials.....

05/06/2013 at 22:10

They're certainly not hardy perennials which is what they were originally said to be.

05/06/2013 at 22:24

Yep as per the other thread, my very large plant didn't over winter. 

I would advise anyone with them this year to treat as half hardy and keep them in pots rather than in the ground, and plan to overwinter in a greenhouse/coldframe or something. (bare in mind i'm in newcastle so you may have more luck down south )

06/06/2013 at 11:08

Oh dear, mine finally arrived and are now in the ground

09/04/2014 at 01:47

I purchased three of each colour last year and pleased to say the pink one has co me into growth and are romping away again but my gold ones only few feet away in same bed look like all three are dying off. Have any of you seen a difference in growth habits of the two colour types . Lifted one but no sign of pest attack I am puzzled

1 to 20 of 39 messages