Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Those who don't have grasses!

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

sitting in my garden, taking time out for introspection and serious consideration of the  world's.......oh! Alrighty then got a slight hangover actually so recovering (image) ..... the grasses here have grabbed my focus.

warm and windy and the grasses are billowing, swaying and (the shorter wider growing ones) moving in a sinuous, wavelike way and even adding sound.  image

loads of colour everywhere but the grasses are more than holding their own.

to those of you not growing grasses, why not?  They are tactile, they move, they come in all colours, sizes and styles. image  your garden is lacking without a grass image

go on, dig up one of those tired old dahlias and pop in a grass. You'll not ryegret it image

Last edited: 09 September 2016 14:53:43

• Verdun, I've gone bonkers for grasses! I've got 13 now and only started really this summer, don't know which they are or what to do with them but will be looking for IDs and advice at some point image

Not sure if you have seen it but there is an episode of gardens from above on iPlayer which is focused on Cornwall. Just going to watch it now and see if I can see you!

• My concerns about grasses:-

Today on a wee trip out I passed a shopping centre and was shocked at the state of disrepair of it's bordery, verge parts. 

When I got closer I realised that it was all beautifully planted with a few different types of grass. Big wavy ones, wee fat ones... but from afar??? Weedy looking and untidy.

Discuss.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Verdun need some pics!

im just on yet another coffee break and have three grasses waiting to go in image

wonky look up prairie planting and you will get some beautiful ideas of what to do with your grasses if Verdun bit slow in posting some pics image

PP think those grasses needed some different plants planted in between.  Think the landscape designer of that verge  needs to discuss ?

• I agree B'sM.

The pictures I've seen on this forum have smitten me (smote me, smitted me) with the lovliness of grasses and I have planted some and sown some seeds. 

It's all about from and contrast. image I'll bet I get it wrong but at least I'll know what not to do.

• All very well Verdun but tell me how do you mow them when you want to play football?

P.P. A reed bed maybe? you could thatch your roof.

Frank.

Last edited: 09 September 2016 16:32:55

• Was sitting in my Daughters Summer house lunching today, nice and warm and the breeze blowing the grasses in her garden every which way, must admit it all looked very nice as they shimmered and danced to the music of birds bees and lawnmowers. A Blackbird hopped to the door obviously looking for a bite of my salad, she got a bit of the jam tart later.

Question how do you get a hangover eating oggies and scones lathered with cream and jam, I never found the beer strong enough.

Frank.