London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 47 messages
11/07/2012 at 20:19

What,s the plant you,ve lusted after, purchased, planted,nurtured and wished you HADN,T!!!   Among my errors a long the way I think the welsh poppy has been a big one. I am responsible for an epidemic in a Kent garden, Peterborough,Bexley and goodness knows where else. The seed has travelled incognito in presents of potted plants. It,s almost impossible to eradicate. My days are spent seeking and destroying seed heads. I,m an outcast amongst my more formal gardening friends and yet....... it is rather pretty. And then there was Hypericum Patulum, this produces underground shoots,everywhere,lots of them. That pretty nettle...............

11/07/2012 at 20:24

I acquired a Himalayan honeysuckle courtesy of the birds, I thought it was lovely, I now have 4 and they are starting to grow way too large for my garden, so they will have to come out.

11/07/2012 at 20:28

Yes Kate i,ve been there,done that but they are pretty{ invasive} that is

11/07/2012 at 20:53

My Himalayan honeysuckle is quite well-behaved - no problems in years.

Now, the Welsh poppy is a different story....

11/07/2012 at 20:58
I have only recently planted two welsh poppys in my garden, I think they are lovely. I want it to self seed around a bit, but no doubt will be pulling them out for years to come !! My Himalayan honeysuckle (pheasent berry as I call it ) also came courtesy of the birds. I have had them in the garden for a number of years now. They do self seed a lot but are very easy to pull out, and the blackbirds cant get enough of the berries. Lily of the valley is also a thug in my garden, I pull out dozens every year, they are trying to takeover the planet I'm sure !!
11/07/2012 at 21:14

Oh, Lorelei isn,t life a kick in the teeth, I baby a weedy patch of indifferent lily of the valley. Your two welsh poppies will go forth and well................ And Campanula Conglomerata has thug status.

11/07/2012 at 21:22

If anyone can rid my garden of lily of the valley they're welcome to it!

Japanese anemones are another thug, spreading and travelling everywhere, even through tarmac.

11/07/2012 at 21:34

I wish I could get japanese anemones to survive. I have the welsh poppy I love it I know it seeds everywhere but thats the look I want I have a red monarda that seeds everywhere too

11/07/2012 at 21:38

See I would love a red monarda and I am having another go with the anemone in a sunny spot as someone suggested that might help to establish it.

Would I be able to move my Himalayan honeysuckle?

11/07/2012 at 21:55

Pink Japanese anemones a bit on the thuggy side. Spanish bluebells a complete pain, forever culling them.

Now wondering if I should get a Pheasant berry/ Himalayan wotsit for my chooks to jump up at or will I be importing a load of hassle.

11/07/2012 at 22:24
weejenny wrote (see)

I wish I could get japanese anemones to survive. I have the welsh poppy I love it I know it seeds everywhere but thats the look I want I have a red monarda that seeds everywhere too

Do Monarda's self seed a lot then? I have a really tall one in my garden and I absolutely love it.

11/07/2012 at 22:30
Phygelus spreading like mad, the creeping potentilla has now invaded my next door neighbour's garden and has created a curtain down a retaining wall. I have another which I can't remember the name of, soft green leaves, very pale lilac flowers and a nice scent, but with very deep roots and new plants popping up all over the place. Dug over the whole bed last year, but still haven't got rid of it. I just pull them out now whenever I see them. Not in flower yet, but prett when it is.
11/07/2012 at 22:31

Calendula/English Marigold. It self seeds everywhere. It does brighten things up though, so I forgive it. As it was so mild all winter so much of it survived from last year and came back even more this year.

I also added Alpine Strawberries into my garden and they have got on too well, taking over several borders and running runners with impunity.

12/07/2012 at 00:27
The Welsh poppies in my garden are fairly well behaved(after reading other posts.) The thug that tries taking over for me is Centaurea Montana. I wish a clump would stay put but it travels all over.
I have some tall white chysanthemums/ daisy type plant whose name I forget that goes everywhere too. I was sure I dug up a huge chunk last year and I have done so again this year.
12/07/2012 at 08:12

I found a bargain in the plant sale (or so I thought ) - 50p for a little pot of geranium Claridge Druce . As I've got some Johnson's blue which the bees' love , I thought it would be a good idea . What I didn't know was you need acres and an enormous garden to grow it. It's smothered everything so humble apologies to the bees - it's about to be dug out . Quick question - as it was only planted in Spring will it have had time to establish and send up more roots ?

12/07/2012 at 12:57

Jean I came back on here to post about an annoying pink geranium type flower I pull up whenever I see it, and you've named the little bleeder. Learn something new everyday here!

I'm sure there are people here who love it (it was loved by my Mum for ages), and in the right garden it would look beautiful, but I've pulled up handfulls of the stuff for years.

12/07/2012 at 13:22

Ditto with the pink geranium - the blue is much more contained and still loved by the bees.  I can cope with the welsh poppies and love th marigolds but I let a couple of giant nasturiums seed last year and they're everywhere this year - easy to get rid of tho' so not really a thug

12/07/2012 at 13:27

Leggi - don't scare me !! Don't want it appearing anywhere else . As I only planted it this year I'm hoping to get rid of it in one . Flippin plant label stated it grows to about 2 ft - haha more like 4ft . It's a triffid and it's going.

12/07/2012 at 13:34

Sorry Jean, didn't mean to scare you.

It's just one of those plants I've decided I don't want and have treated as a weed ever since.

12/07/2012 at 13:40

Only kidding Leggi ! I agree - not wanted at all . My jasmine stephanese has vanished behind it somewhere - can't believe how much growth it's put on since planting . BAD MISTAKE !

1 to 20 of 47 messages