London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
6 messages
24/06/2013 at 20:55

I've been reading conflicting information. Some expertthat's that clematis are greedy plants and thrive on feeding. Others say don't feed once in flower. What do people think? I have number of plants: Arabella, Rebecca, Abilene, Guernsey Cream. The latter is just coming to the end of a fantastic flowering period. It may flower again.....what do people do to encourage this to happen?

24/06/2013 at 20:56

Meant to write: some experts say that.......

KEF
24/06/2013 at 21:33

Mine are in 3 huge pots, climbing up a trellis. I top dress and add Growmore in the spring. When they start to actively grow I give a couple of liquid feeds over a month. Once in bud they get a tomato feed and then that's it, other than plenty of water. They are thirsty but terracotta pots do dry out quickly.

24/06/2013 at 22:54

I mulch with FYM in the autumn, Fish, Blood & Bone in the spring, and then some more feed when they're flowering, to encourage a second flush.  

24/06/2013 at 23:02

I have a few Group 3 types in pots (Abilene is one) - because they are in pots I use those slow release pellets every year about April and that keeps them fed all season.

For the ones in the ground I use a Vitax Clematis feed in about April time too.

25/06/2013 at 21:16

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Any ideas about my Guernsey Cream? I don't know whether to prune it now, to encourage a later pruning.

email image
6 messages