Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

to pinch out or not

sthlndngrowersthlndngrower Posts: 160

Hi,

My sweet peas got a bit leggy, so I pinched out the top couple of inches, however they still seem a bit floppy (maybe they need to be planted out and not still in root trainers, but given the weather....). Should I pinch them out more, taking more off or just plant out when it warms up and give them plenty of support?

Also, which other seedlings/ young plants benefit from pinching out? I have some cerinthe seedlings that are quite tall and floppy (2 to 3 inches) although still only seed leaves, would these- once they have true leaves benefit from pinching out. Similarly, I have some sunflower young plants (Vanilla Ice) which do have true leaves but are a bit floppy too.

Is there a general rule of thumb to guide which young plants should/ shouldn't be pinched out?

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Provide some support in the form of sticks for your sweetpeas and sunflowers, they sound ok.

Sweetspeas do benefit from a pinch but I've never pinched sunflowers, as most grow on one stem. Unless you have a bush variety, of course.

I am not aware of any "rule of thumb" with regards to pinching. I just learnt how to grow and treat my plants through practice, trial and error and lots and lots of reading - RHS encyclopedia was of some help, as was other reading material.

If your seeds are still in the seed leaf stage, 2-3 inches and are floppy. That is usually an indication that not enough light has been provided and their have put all the energy into searching. Often, this kind of syptom does not make for strong plants.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Many plants are improved by pinching out: fuschias, cosmos, penstemon and osteospermum to name a few. I have never tried with cerinthe so not much help to you Im afraid

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Verdun how old are cosmos when you first pinch them out or at what stage.

You can pot on and you can plant deeper. However, be careful how deep you plant sunflowers and some other plants. I've often had casualties because the base of the stem goes black and ultimately the plant dies. Planting deeper is not always the answer, providing the right growing conditions is...

..difficult I know.

Unless the plant is "hardy" you should ideally plant out when the conditions are right for that particular plant. Fleece does help but you can't always be around to fleece them.

For example, I know that sunflowers react badly to cold weather, the leaves/stems go black and somtimes the plant dies. These I would sow  4 weeks later than what the packet states ( mid-late guide on the packet).  Because I live in the northeast, I'm 4 weeks behind southern countys. Plants do catch up.

Greenhouse plants are different though, I sow at the first chance i.e tomatoes.

haha maybe not.

Yeh exactly, we learn through research, trial/error, repetition and experience - thats what makes it fun ? Well...I think so.