London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
11 messages
23/01/2014 at 18:32

Anyone had any experience of growing these? Thought they were supposed to be easier to grow than tomatoes but was told at a seed fair that they have to be grown in a greenhouse in the UK and the seed seller at the Bristol event was from Somerset so you think he would know.

23/01/2014 at 18:39

I grew them about 5 years ago in a cold greenhouse where they grew in pretty much the same way as tomatoes.  I didn't particularly like them though and found them to be a bit like unripe cape gooseberries (which I also didn't like much when I grew those) so won't be bothering with either of those again.

KEF
23/01/2014 at 20:05

Bump for Zoomer?

23/01/2014 at 20:08

A friend gave me a couple of plants a few years ago when I had a tiny northeast back yard and a small shady westfacing front patch in Norfolk - I grew the plants on the front door step and got a few fruits - not hugely successful but a result.  The friend did much better with hers in her greenhouse.

23/01/2014 at 20:40

apparently you need two plants as they are not self fertile.

17/06/2014 at 11:59

Yes, you have to have more than one plant. I've got 6 plants growing now. None of them are in a greenhouse. Fly pollination helps. I absolutely love these as they are used to make salsa verde. I'll let you know how it goes, but I am a newbie at this. I have 2 in pots, the rest in the ground.

17/06/2014 at 13:48

I've grown them in a cold greenhouse.  Big plants.  Can't say I make enough real salsa to do them justice.  Easy to grow.

17/06/2014 at 18:16

As per Welsh Onion, I grew them in a cold g/house years ago.......they seemed easy to grow and produced a reasonable harvest.  Worth growing if you can make use of the fruit

12/10/2014 at 18:57

https://flic.kr/p/pBb4dA

Here is a link to one of my tomatillos. No greenhouse necessary, and I live in Manchester. I had a fantastic yield. Blend these up with lime juice, coriander, onions, salt, sugar, and garlic. The best salsa ever! So fresh. 

13/10/2014 at 08:19

My daughter gave me two small plants earlier this year (her friend gave them to her!), and I grew them in a grow bag in a small poly lean-to with gardeners delight tomatoes, and they all had the same treatment. Tomatoes had less fruit than I normally get, but the tomatilloes grew like mad, producing loads of fruit and swamped the tomatoes!

The tomatilloes were mostly about 1.5" in diameter and looked quite weird when they turned purple and burst out of their skins.  I've never grown them before, and won't again, but was worth the experiment.  I gave them to my daughter about a month ago (her plan was to make the salsa dip,) and as far as I know they are still in her fridge! So all in all a wasted experiment really!

We had a very good summer here on the Norfolk coast, so maybe that helped, but it's tomatoes only again next year for me.

13/10/2014 at 17:19

Oh yes, I grew 4 in bags, and 2 in the ground. The ones in bags thrived as the ones in the ground had to fight with horsetail roots. Bags for sure.

email image
11 messages