London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
5 messages
14/05/2013 at 14:22

This is my first gardening experience. Another farmer gave me an advice - to plant the seeds in a seed bed rather tan cups. The seeds sprouted after a week. It's a 3rd week now and I decided to re-pot the seedlings, since they all seem healthy, but they don't have enough space, too close to each other. I transplanted them in cups but just after the transplantation and watering they became really tired. Will they pick up or this means that the seedlings died? If so, maybe you could tell me what I might have done wrong?

p.s. I did not transplant all of the seedlings, just the first row in the seed bed. So maybe there's hope for the others

14/05/2013 at 17:26

being as they are in a seed bed I would leave them for now . they must have climetized with our everchanging weather . I would leave them until the main stem is about a quarter of an inch thick . then they will be strong enough to withstand any moving about . the first year i grew tomatoes outside  when i had put them in their growing position ( and about quarter inch thick main stem)  I cut out a 12 inch square  piece of capilery matting cut from one corner to the middle and arranged this around  . The tomato plant in the center of the square . FORGOT to say capilery matting furry side up.   This stopped the rain water hitting the tomatoes which Id been told caused  a disease  black spot  ? I think they called it.The tomatoes were " yellow sunrise" and were beautiful!

14/05/2013 at 17:35
Austeja Banyte wrote (see)

This is my first gardening experience. Another farmer gave me an advice - to plant the seeds in a seed bed rather tan cups. The seeds sprouted after a week. It's a 3rd week now and I decided to re-pot the seedlings, since they all seem healthy, but they don't have enough space, too close to each other. I transplanted them in cups but just after the transplantation and watering they became really tired. Will they pick up or this means that the seedlings died? If so, maybe you could tell me what I might have done wrong?

p.s. I did not transplant all of the seedlings, just the first row in the seed bed. So maybe there's hope for the others

Are you writing from in the UK??

14/05/2013 at 17:37

Thanks lucky3. Stem seems to be as thick as you say. I found that what I witnessed might have been (hopefully is a transplanting shock. So I will see tomorrow, if I am right. I am in a greek island so weather here is quite warm already towards hot, does not change too much. And the seedbed is in a tiny greenhouse. 

14/05/2013 at 17:58

No, Lazy gardener - Greek island.

email image
5 messages