London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
7 messages
05/08/2013 at 19:09

What is the best variety of tomato to grow in an unheated greenhouse ? cordon style  bush varieties seem to do o k in cold frame

05/08/2013 at 19:21

Hi Harry, I grow Gardeners Delight, Moneymaker, Sungold, Alicante, pretty standard varieties but they do well, I grow them as cordons.  Also grown Maskotka this year as a bush type and it has done ok as well.

05/08/2013 at 19:29

I agree with Paula - you really can't go wrong with those 'tried and tested' varieties.  If you like larger tomatoes (Sungold and Gardener's delight are 'cherries' the others two are 'normal sized'), then I'd recommend Legend as it has good blight resistance (I've grown it as both bush and cordon with good results.)  Of the ten varieties I'm growing this year, all are doing well with Sungold being the first to start cropping (and I can almost guarantee it will be the last to stop, as always!)

05/08/2013 at 19:54

I have grown Mashotka outside for 2nd year running, they crop well, are great tasting and I have been picking them for three weeks thanks to the lovely weather.  Changed from Gardeners Delight to Moneymaker this year the Jury is still out on the taste as they haven't gone red yet, 

05/08/2013 at 20:05

Tigerella is stripey and very productive. Golden Sunrise has been good this year and is sweeter than some.

05/08/2013 at 20:53

I've found Golden Sunrise to be a good cropper but the toms haven't  ripened yet. Apart from some already mentioned I've also grown Tiny Tim, Ailsa Craig and Cerise, all looking like good croppers, toms beginning to ripen on some of the plants.

Christmas Grape and Floridity,two heritage one's, are tasty, both growing alot better this year in the GH bed rather than in pots and Garden Pearl is doing well in a pot in the garden.

06/08/2013 at 07:57

All toms can be classified as either early-season, mid-season or late-season varieties in terms of the time they take from planting out to maturity. With a bit of crossover, obviously. For unheated greenhouses and shorter growing seasons it's best to stick with the early- or mid-season (at latest) varieties.

As a very very very general rule of thumb:

EARLY - up to 60 days from planting out to maturity. You will find some varieties, like Stupice, of Czech origin, that will ripen earlier. The downside is that they have almost no flavour.

MID - 60 to 75 days from planting out to maturity.

LATE - anything from 75 to 90 (or more) days from planting out to maturity. Most of the larger beefsteak varieties fall into this category.

A bit of Googling will usually reveal a variety's category.

email image
7 messages