Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tomatoplant suddenly wilted

iamtoiamto Posts: 111

I have 4 tomatoplant and 2 of them have sudeenly wilted today, they was fine yersterday. It have only stayed inside in the window and i think that it have got enought of water. Some days ago i gave it ash and also coffee ground can that be the cause? Anyone know what it can be?

imagethis one is tinytim.

Last edited: 16 July 2016 12:39:44

• iamtoiamto Posts: 111
    iamto says:

I have 4 tomatoplant and 2 of them have sudeenly wilted today, they was fine yersterday. It have only stayed inside in the window and i think that it have got enought of water. Some days ago i gave it ash and also coffee ground can that be the cause? Anyone know what it can be?

imagethis one is tinytim.

Last edited: 16 July 2016 12:39:44

See original post

Anyone have any idea? It is still as bad as it was in the morning..image

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

It certainly looks a rather sad specimen - which could be a result of under-watering. The edges of the compost look rather dry and appear to have shrunk away from the edge of the pot.

I'm not sure why you added coffee grounds (which can be slightly acidic) or ash (which is unlikely to be  of benefit.)

The picture shows a rather small plant for the time of year - my tomatoes, both in and out of the greenhouse, are much larger and are setting fruit.  

I think we need further information to be of any real help.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Ash is alkaline and coffee grounds are acidic so all I can think is that mixing the two have produced something the plant doesn't like (going back to my school science, that would be a salt.)  Remove as much of the grounds and ash as you can and give it a really good watering to try and flush the stuff out.  If it still looks the same in a couple of days, flush it with water again.

Tomato plants don't need any feeding until they have flowered and tiny fruit have set.  You can then water it with a liquid tomato feed.  I would avoid using ash on it which can be chemically too strong and coffee grounds don't really have any nutrient value, so avoid those too.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • iamtoiamto Posts: 111
    BobTheGardener says:

Ash is alkaline and coffee grounds are acidic so all I can think is that mixing the two have produced something the plant doesn't like (going back to my school science, that would be a salt.)  Remove as much of the grounds and ash as you can and give it a really good watering to try and flush the stuff out.  If it still looks the same in a couple of days, flush it with water again.

Tomato plants don't need any feeding until they have flowered and tiny fruit have set.  You can then water it with a liquid tomato feed.  I would avoid using ash on it which can be chemically too strong and coffee grounds don't really have any nutrient value, so avoid those too.

See original post

Ok i just read on different pages that coffee ground contained nitrogen that tomatoplants like. But you are right it is probably the ash was too strong for the little plant (it was almost flowering).

Out of experience is that plant that have been lacking water will get healthy within just hours after you rewater it, but this tomatoplant have been wilted for a day now even thought i have watered it. I hope that getting of the ash will help.

Last edited: 16 July 2016 20:52:21

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Hi iamto, could high temperatures be the cause of wilting? It looks like you are growing them indoors.

I can't comment on your fertilizing methods, I'm an amateur but have got good advice from Bob in the past.

It may be worth including some info about your location to your profile. Most of us are in the UK. I think I recall you mentioning in a previous post you are in Norway?