Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

too eager pruning my salvia?

sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

hello everyone, 

i bought a salvia mystic blue which flowered profusely last year, then it got a bit leggy and i pruned it by half as there didn't seem a point when it was flowering so nicely but then i pruned it again at the end of it's flowering time and for some reason i just kept cutting bits off until there is just a two pronged stump sticking out of the ground (about 2 inches above ground) i think i must have read that it could suffer over the winter and just kept pruning ! i'm in the south east uk, i keep checking it but no sign of life yet, have i killed it or will it be back??

I did the same with wedding bells? cant remember latin name but i think i was supposed to do it to that one, but that hasn't sprung into life yet either.

they both get afternoon sun

any advice would be helpful

thanks

• Try potting it up for a bit with good compost and good drainage, feed and water don't trim it anymore, keep it out of any excess, rain frosts, or strong winds. Just nurse it for a little while, it should be alright again, don't worry too much.
  • As above. Tender loving care now.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

thank you for advice & i will keep my fingers crossed                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         &nb