London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 4°C
41 to 57 of 57 messages
07/01/2013 at 21:21

Sometimes you have to just do it and hope for best. My ground was sooo wet i stuck nearly all bulbs in pots rather than ground, Will plant them up when the foliage is dying back. Still have some cheap ones to put in note to me job for this week!! 

07/01/2013 at 21:24

The only time I've had big losses with my late planted bulbs was last year when I planted them just before some REALLY cold weather which lasted ages and included a couple of minus 13 or 14 degree nights. Otherwise it hasn't made a lot of difference to performance. Maybe later than they would have been but that's all weather dependent anyway. They flower when they flower.

I thought I posted this earlier but must have forgotten to press the submit button (again). 

09/01/2013 at 15:08

Rozzy, I have aliums as part of my seasonal container arrangements. They are going into pots - very belatedly - this very afternoon, after advice received on this site that it's best to plant them now than leave them to rot. Combining the advice I just got on here about flowering times/bulb size and planting depth with the advice I got when I bought them from a reputable nursery, and with what is written on the packs themselves, they will be going at the bottom of my containers, (as the Alium bulbs are the largest, and need to be planted the deepest) with Tulips above them, followed by Daffs, Muscari and topped off with Dwarf Iris. The member of staff/gardener I spoke to knew was looking to plant up containers with a mixture of bulbs for ongoing seasonal interest and she said Aliums would be fine for containers. The Alium bulbs and pack info I have is as follows:

"Allium Aflatunense, cut/dry flower, flowers May/June, height 60cm/24” 15cm/6” deep, 10cm/4” apart, plant from August onwards"

I am by no means an expert, more of a perpetual beginner who learns a little bit more each year, so hope this helps you in some way !

22/01/2013 at 15:55

Thanks, Leorna, J and others who have responded - I will plant the alliums in a large bucket and hopefully transfer them to the garden when the weather improves.  Will let you know what happens! After all, trial and error is all part of the gardening learning experience, isn't it?? 

30/01/2013 at 18:02

Hi LeadFarmer & Leorna

Did you get your daffs and other bulbs planted? If so, any sign of growth yet? I have to admit, I was very naughty yesterday, and bought a sale lot (50) of tulip bulbs for £2, they all looked in excellent condition and had a small sprout on each one. I got out in the garden today and planted them out, if they grow its a bonus, if not I lost £2.. I say worth a try.. On a seperate note, I had to move one of my bushes which had overgrown its pot and in the process pulled out a few Gladioli bulbs which looked great (I know your supposed to lift them for winter). They had all doubled in size since I put them in last March/April and they were realy firm and golden.. 

30/01/2013 at 18:37

I'm sure they'll catch up with the rest Dave

30/01/2013 at 19:36

I bought 50 tete a tete for £1.00 and 25 Tulip Queen of Night at £1.00 a bag each 3 weeks ago. Planted immediately, tulips seemed to go in OK but  I put the daffs in  a ditch and as I was planting, 6" down I was hitting water, Being the glass half-full kind of person I kept my fingers crossed but I can't believe the number of times my garden has beeen under inches of water in the last weeks  They were cheap so no big deal but I would hate it if they rotted away 'cos of the amount of rain we are getting

30/01/2013 at 21:38
Awww chilli lover , I have clay and a forest and field draining into mine before finding the beck at the front. Any spring bulbs rot in mine .
31/01/2013 at 01:01

discodave, yes I got them all planted up into pots soon after starting this thread. Im hoping the recent cold spell will have triggered some growth, but nothing showing yet.

31/01/2013 at 21:32

I would have done the same dave and chilli lover, in fact I still have some tulip bulbs that were given to me still to go in. Better in the ground than out

16/03/2013 at 13:43

Thought I'd update this thread. The daff & tulip bulbs I planted in pots in January are just beginning to show through the soil. They are about 2-3 weeks behind the identical bulbs I planted last autumn. Im glad I planted them now, just hope they flower.

Thanks for everyones help

16/03/2013 at 13:52

Glad to hear it LeadFarmer

I did read that if you plant daffs in stages they flower in stages to prolong your flowering period. Be nice if these ones flower just as the first one are fading..

16/03/2013 at 13:53

That would be good dave. Ill post udates as and when they flower.

16/03/2013 at 16:50

Thanks for taking the trouble to up-date us on your bulbs LeadFarmer.  It sounds as if you will have a good, albeit later than normal, show of daffs etc.

For the record, my Tete a Tete that I planted in groups of five a few years ago at the front of the house (north facing), have been left undisturbed and  have increased in numbers enormously, and have been flowering for a few weeks - they're just beginning to fade, but have been magnificent.  Why they should have been so early I don't know - but they've been a source of enjoyment through the dark days!

16/03/2013 at 21:38

Good news, the late ones I planted are also shooting through. Will consider some Tete a Tete for a shady bed that I have. Thanks

17/03/2013 at 10:12

Yes my late tete a tete are up too - isn't nature amazing and so forgiving

04/05/2013 at 13:20

Thought I'd post an update on how my late planted bulbs are doing. Heres a photo of some of the bulbs planted last autumn, together with some planted in January 2013. Some of the later planted bulbs are just in flower whilst some are further behind. Definately pleased I planted them now (click on photos to enlarge)...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps3a37ab9e.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zpsb3886cef.jpg

email image
41 to 57 of 57 messages