London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
05/06/2012 at 11:23

I loved the late, great and sadly missed Christopher Lloyds answer to this question - when asked what was his favourite plant - he said  'the one I am looking at at the moment', and I suspect he is right.  I could name five now, then in an hour spot something else and realise that's a favourite too -  like just about everyone else here. 

05/06/2012 at 11:54

Welsh poppy which I have everywhere - they may spoil my planting colour arrangements, but their bright cheery yellow flowers keep me and the bumble bees happy most of the year.

Pinks - glorious scent and trouble-free.

Aquilegia - interesting & early foliage, beautiful & elegant flowers, trouble-free.

Hardy geraniums, particularly 'Buxton's blue', a low-growing ground cover, pretty leaves and beautiful blue flowers until the first frosts - wherever there is bare earth, this gets planted!

Clematis - planted wherever there is room for something to climb, and sometimes where there isn't!

05/06/2012 at 14:28

Hardy Geraniums

Hebes

Hostas

Primulas

Nepeta

A funny mix, but what I seem to have most of.

05/06/2012 at 14:44

my top 5 are

iris

tulips and alliums and snowdrops

aquilegias

penstemons

lavender

to be honest i could do a top 10..but will leave it at that.

05/06/2012 at 14:45

my top 5 are

beared iris

tulips and alliums and snowdrops

aquilegias

penstemons

lavender

to be honest i could do a top 10..but will leave it at that.

jengil.. i also love primulas.. i relly could do a list of 10 or even 20..

05/06/2012 at 14:45

oh arh... it has done it twice..

05/06/2012 at 14:48

can i just stick hellebores in there sneakily.. as i adore them..

07/06/2012 at 13:26

Lilly Of The Valley, the fragrance is one of my all time favourites

Albertine Rose, tough as old boot and is currently out growing an ivy covered hedge!

Delphiniums, height and grace

Acquilegia, always a surprise what comes up

Primula Vulgaris, early colour and a bit of the countryside happy in the garden

07/06/2012 at 13:45

Oh wow, only 5 ?  

it'd have to be:

paeonies - only just getting into them, as I normally like small flowers, but these great blousey ones are just great.  I've gone from having none to now having 6 ready to plant out.

hellebores, amongst the ones I have, one is lime green and I love it !

snakes head frittilaries - I had to leave the ones I had at my last house, as I couldn't find the bulbs in the ground, should explain, I stripped my garden of plants and brought them ALL with me

erm, next I guess would be an old type rose, taking me back to my childhood, I have a lemon coloured one in the garden (that I brought with me) and it actually smells of lemons, wonderful,

and finally, I think it would have to be lavendar, as my Mum and Dad had a massive lavendar bush in the front garden when I was a child, and I don't think you can beat the relaxing calming smell of it.

and as everyone else seems to be sneakingly adding others, can I add double snowdrops and aqualegias ?  I had a lovely pink and white grannies bonnet one, and a lime green one which have disappeared over the years, but now I have purple ones, white and purple ones, and my red and yellow one has gone all red and raspberry this year ?? confused.dot.com and also the garden I've inherited since moving in December has just thrown up a lovely fussy flowered aqualegia which I reckon must be called raspberry ripple.  My signature picture is of it in its infancy, as I loved the lime green of it, but now it's all raspberry ripple, pink, green, and white.

07/06/2012 at 14:20

Foxgloves - for their natural grace

Cirsium - love the rich colour, and bees love them too

Buphthalmum - it's a wonderful bee plant

Roses - for their colour, though short flowering period, and of little use to wildlife

Lilies - spectacular statement plants

07/06/2012 at 17:48

to be honest it would be better to ask me for my top 5 most hated.. i would struggle to list five that way

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages