Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Trachelospermum Jasminoides

Last year I bought a Trachelospermum Jasminoides which was quite tall from the garden centre. I planted it against my house outside of the front door on an east facing wall. Its in the ground but in a contained space which was created when the previous owners had the driveway done. It does have suitable drainage. I used JI no 3 to plant it up with a touch of compost in there too. It took off and was rampant up the wall. It flowered quite well last year.

This year it has continued to grow healthily and is about 10ft x 3ft. Its now being trained to grow across the doorway. 

Whilst it has continued to growwell, It's had few flowers on it. Certainly not as many as last year.

It's position slight under the eaves of the house means that it doesn't get all the rainfall and I occasionally water it in the warmer weather, a good drink about once a week. It's also been fertilised about once a month between May and September. 

What could increase its flowering potential? I know it's not perfect having it on an East facing wall but it's a sunny sheltered spot and certainly warm in spring/summer.

I'm thinking of buying a couple more to grow in sleeper planters against my west facing back doors so it would be helpful to know if I could maximise the potential for scent

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,966

Mine is on a south wall and gets a good water 3 times a week in summer. I only fertilised it in spring with a slow acting organic fertiliser. Perhaps fertilising every month is too much and it's so well fed it doesn't feel the need to reproduce, so no flowers. They do like sun, I saw huge ones covered in flowers on south walls in Italy. The flowers buds are more likely to get frosted on an east wall.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I didn't see any buds which is what surprised me. Plenty foliage but few flowers. 

• Right ill see what being mean does to it!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,611

My friend in Australia had one, very overgrown, poor  sandy soil,very sunny.

I hacked it back hard. The following year it was magnificent.  Treat it mean.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

A lot of climbers thrive on neglect, poor flowering is often brought about by too much attention rather than too little, once a year a feed is plenty for nearly all of them.