London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
7 messages
20/08/2012 at 14:57

Hi everyone,

I am in need of a little advice, I am looking for a good trailing perennial evergreen. I am wanted something to flow down a set of steps at a hight of about 5 feet.

Flowers would be a plus, and white flowers would be even better,I am looking for something with good coverage and plenty of foliage for year round greenery.

Any thoughts?

Chris

20/08/2012 at 20:32

Chris, are you talking about a shrub or rambling climber?

20/08/2012 at 21:43

I think I'd go for an evergreen clematis. This one is beautiful http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-avalanche.html  and would would trail down the steps quite happily - the only pruning it needs is to keep in tidy and within bounds.

Or this one http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-fragrant-oberon.html - not as dramatic, but beautifully scented 

21/08/2012 at 00:51

could I interlace Ivy in the same display to ensure think coverage? I would be growing in pots.

Chris

21/08/2012 at 07:02

Have you scrolled down and looked at the pictures of clematis Avalanche?  Don't think they come much thicker than that!

I wouldn't plant ivy in with another climber - it'll grow all over it, cut the light off from it and take over totally.

If you want ivy put some in another pot but keep it from growing over the other trailing plants!

09/04/2013 at 00:00

I have a vinca that marches all over the place !  The flowers are pale blue/white.  The plant remains green all winter, and seems to flower almost continuously.  It would be quite happy to be interplanted with any variegated ivy.  Vinca is very sturdy, and there are many varieties - it is also tough, and just needs a rough "haircut" from time to time. It may be worth checking the different varieties to see if one would suit your situation.

27/09/2014 at 12:20

I too would like a trailing plant but to go in a 6x2 metre trough preferably evergreen for winter colour but obviously not too rampant because space is limited.

email image
7 messages