London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
3 messages
02/09/2012 at 19:40

hi guys,

i planted a trachycarpus fortunei in my moms garden approx 20 yrs ago,, she no longer wants it so ive dug it up with a relatively small rootball and have potted it in a 170ltr pot on my patio, the tree stands approx 20 feet tall, ive removed alot of the leaves to reduce moisture loss, treated to rootball with root boost and put plenty of slow release fertilizer in the potting compost,,can anyone advise me what else i can do to make this palm survive this move,?

03/09/2012 at 07:29

I wonder what 'relatively small' means.

If the root ball is occupying most of a 170 litre pot that should be ample.

I think that these plants do have a relatively compact fibrous root system. If you've just dug one up, you'll know. So as long as there is a good core to the plant, it should live.

Bear in mind that plants grown in pots are more tender than those grown in the ground, because the roots are effectively above ground, so lose heat more easily in cold weather. I had a large trachycarpus in a pot, which I lost two Winters ago, for that reason.

Mine was only about 6 feet tall. It was in a 50cm/70litre pot, and the roots were filling the pot.

You talk about removing leaves to reduce moisture loss. I think moisture loss is only a significant factor in lush-growing plants, I wouldn't have thought it was important for a slow-growing plant.

It seems that you're trying to encourage new growth now. With a palm-type tree, I'm not sure if that's the best thing. Maybe someone else will have better ideas about that.

20 feet is very tall for a tree in a pot. I would have thought the most serious problem would be toppling over in gusty wind. Either because the root ball is not secure in the pot, or because the whole thing topples over. I used a soil-based compost, and my, relatively small, 70 litre pot, was extremely heavy. I guess that a 150 litre pot, full of soil would be unmovable, and ought to remain upright.

04/09/2012 at 00:25
20 feet sounds like a lot of tree. I have moved them up to about 2 metres but only to put them in the ground. It seems to me you have to take care that it is secure and won't blow over??? Can't it go into the soil?
email image
3 messages