Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree. Identification

RegBRegB Posts: 25

I have two trees in my garden in SW France and cannot identify them. I am concerned they will grow too big. Can anybody help with identification please. Photos attached.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RegBRegB Posts: 25

Actually I re posted this under plants as I was not drawing comments from its previous home! The one I had I think was an incorrect. There must be someone out there who can help!  I hope!  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I think the response to your earlier post looks right.

Looks like a Mulberry as the other poster said.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks Pete8

I'll check it out again. This is quite a bit different to the Mulberries  I'm used to down here.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Reg

The usual Mulberry grown in Western Europe is Morus nigra, the Black Mulberry form Iran. Have a look at Morus alba, the White Mulberry from China and Morus rubra, the Red Mulberry from the south east of the USA, it might be one of those, both of which will both grow in the south of France.

One more thimg is I have never seen any fruit. My friend has the usual mulberry tree down here and it bears mulberries. Any reason why?

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Reg

Some mulberries do take years to come to flower, however you showed a picture of the flowers, so it is not lack them that is the problem. I know the Black Mulberry bears male and female flowers on the same tree, and so it self pollinates, The Red and White mulberries tend to bear flowers of one sex only on the tree which means you need two trees with male an female flowers to pollinate them.

I wondered if that might be the case. Thanks Invicta 2. I seem to be getting somewhere now. The big question is are they going to take over my whole garden. The larger of the two has grown considerably over the last couple of years! I have been here for 8 years so I know they must be at least 10 years old and I suspect quite a bit older.

Here in France they prune mulberries to create canopies of shade. Can one do this with the White mulberry as they use the red.if so can I prune these trees now as they are over 10 years old. I cannot let them grow to their 10/20 metre height. My garden isn't large enough.