London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
11 messages
22/09/2013 at 16:00

Hello

i have a tree that I don't know firstly what it is secondly if it's dead or not! can someone help please. 

It has been until the last week very overlooked and cramped by a next door neighbours tree hanging over into my garden but that has now been removed giving it space and light. I am about to build a garden deck and had intended to build around this tree anod leave it as a feature hoping its half dead look would go and it could become quite attractive.

i have shown some photos below of it to help including a close up of leaf and what appear like catkins.

hope someone can identify

thanks 

22/09/2013 at 16:04

Dam can't upload photos on my iPad, will try later on pc

22/09/2013 at 16:05

No photos. Click on the tree symbol and follow the instructions to upload.

23/09/2013 at 10:25

Hello

i have a tree that I don't know firstly what it is secondly if it's dead or not! can someone help please.

It has been until the last week very overlooked and cramped by a next door neighbours tree hanging over into my garden but that has now been removed giving it space and light. I am about to build a garden deck and had intended to build around this tree anod leave it as a feature hoping its half dead look would go and it could become quite attractive.

i have shown some photos below of it to help including a close up of leaf and what appear like catkins.

hope someone can identify

thanks

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31526.png?width=640&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31527.png?width=640&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31528.png?width=640&height=350&mode=max

23/09/2013 at 10:30

Garrya elliptica.

Cut off all the brown and dead stuff. It will resprout in spring and you can shape it better.

23/09/2013 at 11:11

mine does that every few years. It received its final written warning this spring

23/09/2013 at 17:46

Thanks for that feedback, will give it a haircut. Bearing in mind I intend to construct my deck around it the general consensus would be it will become a more attractive sight now it has some space and light again.  

Thanks 

23/09/2013 at 17:51

maybe but it does get bitten by very cold winds and often browns some leaves

23/09/2013 at 20:45

The competition from the nieghbouring tree is probably the cause for the poor condition of the shrub. If you intend to keep it, don't overprune before winter just cut out the dead branches and any really straggly stuff. When new shoots start to appear in the spring you can give it a more droconian haircut. Garrya's make very attractive shrubs with their long tasles of winter catkins. They can be damaged by sevear frost but that usually results in scorching around the leaf margins. The photo is not indicative of frost damage.

23/09/2013 at 23:30

Thanks Brian 

24/09/2013 at 05:46

That poor tree, planted too close to fence!

It has had to manage to grow overshadowed by tree

and that tree also took goodness from roots.

Now it is to have wooden planks around it, won't that rob it again of the moisture it needs to regrow?

Do it a favour and leave it a little bed around its trunk,

give it some space to breath.and grow.

email image
11 messages