Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tree Lily Bulbs

ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase some of these for this year. Can anyone recommend a good supplier? image

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I had some nice ones from JParkers recently

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I always thought that tree lilies were a marketing trick? They are just larger varieties of lily that takes years to grow large enough to grow tall enough to be 'tree' like?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

is that so? They are still pretty impressive nonetheless

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

No they are not a marketing trick, they grow huge in their second year, pretty tall in their first year too

These were mine in their second year about 4' tall

• I've had them from several of the well know suppliers (some were free) and all grew OK - about 4 foot the first year and 5-6' in subsequent years.  The only issue I've had is that there is more foliage to check for those bl**dy lily beetles!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I bought some a few years back and for about 4ft at most then faded. I think the highly scented smaller varieties (which grow 3ft) are far superior.

Trees are not 4-5 ft tall, a small shrub is, tree is just a marketing term and most of the suppliers have very select pics of them to temp people into buying in to that marketing.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have had the triple offer. The plain yellow ones go from strength to strength, 6 ft tall and stems like broomsticks. The red ones do not seem as strong. The striped one has faded away. I have ordered some of the double ones for this year. My garden needs big punctuation points, the little ones get lost. Everybody commented on the amount of perfume they pump out.

It's only T&M that refer to them as tree lillies , they are also called Skyscraper lilllies, Goliath Lillies etc depending on the supplier.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I ordered Goliath Bulbs from JParkers. Lets hope they live up to expectations =)