Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Trees in Pots

I am a baby gardener, I know nothing, and I would like to plant a tree in a pot on my balcony. I tried a Golden Acer (?) but it was shredded by the wind. Poor thing never stood a chance! The balcony receives full sun from late morning until sunset most of the year. Could someone suggest what type of tree might be suitable? I'd rather not worry about trying to move it indoors during winter. Thank you.

• Additional info please - what size pot?  and what sort of soil?  As I said above, I KNOW NOTHING!

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Buddleia alternifolia might be nice trained as a 'standard' (i.e. a little tree with a clear stem, rather than a bushy shrub). It would tolerate heat, wind and frost I think.   Or Tamarisk maybe?

... as big a pot as possible, good drainage at the bottom, and loam based compost e.g. John Innes no. 3

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Hello Mary, there has been a recent thread about this. Go into 'search' at the top of the page and then enter your query on the page that comes up and see what you get. If you have no luck with it say so on this thread.image

• Thanks!

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I would say take care with how heavy the pot and its contents are for a balcony. Usually you would use a soil based substrate for a tree which would be in the pot for a long time (like John Innes), but I wouldn't in this case due to the weight, I'd use multipurpose.  I would probably go for one of the stone effect pot which will be lighter than terracotta but won't protect the roots as well in Winter.  You might want to wrap the pot itself in bubble wrap over Winter as some protection for the roots.  Of course if you are certain that the balcony could take the weight of a big stone pot full of soil rather than compost go for it.

• image  I'm embarrassed -  Can anyone  at Gardeners World remove me from the bottom of this page please, or is it a feature of the site? Did I do  something wrong at the very  beginning when asking a question?

• Thank you so much for all your advice!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Mary - What ever you decide to plant in a pot on your balcony if there are people living below be mindful when watering. 

The pot will need to stand in a tray if there are people living below so they don't get showered everyday. Gravel as a mulch in the top of your pot reduces evapouration meaning less watering.

Terracotta pots absorb water so better to use a pot which is unlikly to absorb water...plastic or similar might be better. 

I'd be inclined to mix water retaining jelly with the compost if the pot is in full sun, this helps to prevent the compost drying out and the need to water although on hot days you may still need to water daily.

Hope this is helpful, can't help with which tree to plant though...