London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
5 messages
29/03/2013 at 12:19

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on the forum, but am hoping that someone can advise me

The Trillium seeds that I sowed last spring have now germinated to my surprise and delight. They have one seed leaf and are 1 to 2cms high. Should they be potted up individually now or left together in the pot where they were sown?

The first one up is beginning to look a little yellow, so is this just naturally dying back until next year and/or is it a sign that they need feeding or moving?

If you have successfully raised trilliums from seed, please can you advise me.

Thank you.

Marina 

29/03/2013 at 15:01

I've never growm trilliums but I grow a lot of other slow cold germinators. Mine are in a cold green house and everything is going very slowly which is fine as it's too cold for me to be pricking out. I don't think they will suffer for this.

If yours are in heat and growing quicly I'd prick them out

29/03/2013 at 15:01

Hi Marina,  I've not grown them myself, but the info regarding propagation from seed on the RHS site looks as though it will be very useful.  Seems plenty of patience needed with these:

"Trillium seed has double dormancy. Sown immediately after harvest, the seed will germinate the following spring, after a period of chilling, to produce a root. Another cycle of warmth and chilling is then necessary for a shoot to emerge the second year. After a further two or three years the characteristic three leaves form. Flowering may occur a year or two later."

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=341

29/03/2013 at 17:01

I have tried and failed to germinate trillium seed over the past 10 years....altho' I've succeeded with other seeds that are supposed to be difficult/slow to germinate...well done tuppence3....

They're not too wet are they? are they in a cold frame?

29/03/2013 at 17:26

Have grown trillium from seed for a number of years and as long as seed is fresh they will germinate readily,I normally achieve close to 100% success.I find it better to keep them in their seed pot for several years until they start to produce three- lobed leaves and then I transplant to their growing position in early September after they have died back,keeping root disturbance to a minimum 

email image
5 messages