Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on the forum, but am hoping that someone can advise me

The Trillium seeds that I sowed last spring have now germinated to my surprise and delight. They have one seed leaf and are 1 to 2cms high. Should they be potted up individually now or left together in the pot where they were sown?

The first one up is beginning to look a little yellow, so is this just naturally dying back until next year and/or is it a sign that they need feeding or moving?

If you have successfully raised trilliums from seed, please can you advise me.

Thank you.

I've never growm trilliums but I grow a lot of other slow cold germinators. Mine are in a cold green house and everything is going very slowly which is fine as it's too cold for me to be pricking out. I don't think they will suffer for this.

If yours are in heat and growing quicly I'd prick them out

Hi Marina,  I've not grown them myself, but the info regarding propagation from seed on the RHS site looks as though it will be very useful.  Seems plenty of patience needed with these:

"Trillium seed has double dormancy. Sown immediately after harvest, the seed will germinate the following spring, after a period of chilling, to produce a root. Another cycle of warmth and chilling is then necessary for a shoot to emerge the second year. After a further two or three years the characteristic three leaves form. Flowering may occur a year or two later."

I have tried and failed to germinate trillium seed over the past 10 years....altho' I've succeeded with other seeds that are supposed to be difficult/slow to germinate...well done tuppence3....

They're not too wet are they? are they in a cold frame?

Have grown trillium from seed for a number of years and as long as seed is fresh they will germinate readily,I normally achieve close to 100% success.I find it better to keep them in their seed pot for several years until they start to produce three- lobed leaves and then I transplant to their growing position in early September after they have died back,keeping root disturbance to a minimum