Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Trimming box.

Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

I have heard of the saying "Don't prune box before Derby day', but what is the best time to do it. I want my box balls to get bigger. Should I leave them a month or so before trimming them?

• Samie CainSamie Cain Posts: 6

Hi, i'm sure i heard on tv last week , they said trim box a few times a year during growing season ! I hope so , as I trimmed my box ball and small hedges yesterday. I was going to leave them but they had started looking unruly , so i gave them a light trim, as like you i would like some growth too , so gulp , fingers crossed . The other thing i heard was never to cut them in full sun as they scorch the leaves ...good look with yours image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I thought the saying was to prune them on derby day - so the best time is this weekend.  I think the important thing is not to leave it beyond midsummer, because the new shoots that trimming promotes need time to toughen up before the frosts set in in the autumn.

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Thanks both. I will leave it a week or so as the season is a bit behind. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

But the Derby is earlier now than it used to be!!

Around mid june was the usual time- but it depends on what growth you have- this year growth will be haphazard.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...