Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tulips from Amsterdam

Paula 777Paula 777 Posts: 2

Hi please could someone offer advice.  I have just purchased 20 tulip bulbs in Amsterdam and am now wondering if I should plant them out or store in dry place.  Some of the bulbs have small green shoots starting.  I have seen on some sites that tulips are better planted out in November but if they are starting to shoot now will they perish if I store them.  Many thanks for any advice. Paula

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think they need transporting to the southern hemisphere to ensure survival. In the northern hemisphere tulips are dying back.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I bought some brilliant tulips in Amsterdam last year.  I kept them in a totally dark, cool, dry place for a few months - they stopped shooting and seemed to go nicely dormant, and then I planted them in October.  Fabulous show this spring.   I'd suggest you do the same - check them every now and then and if they still insist on growing, or if they start looking mouldy, perhaps you should plant them up....

What do other people think?

• Paula 777Paula 777 Posts: 2

Many thanks Rosie that sounds like good advice.  Best wishes