Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tulips in pots

GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

hello , I thought I would put some tulips in pots but do you water them over the winter ? Also I thought about storing them in g/h or would they be better outside ?

Also would you mix compost with grit ? 50/50 ?

Any advise welcome image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Outside in a sheltered spot,out of the worst of the winter rains and weather, GWRS. Gritty compost - they like a nice free draining medium.

I do nothing else to mine except move them into position for enjoying them in April/May image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I brought some tulips will put in pots also plants on top so colour for winter, so would water mix some grit in more for under the bulbs drainage 

Hampshire Gardener
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Thanks both for advice , will put some up in pots in gritty mix and put in an outdoor sheltered spot 

Will have to get some chicken wire from allotment to stop Syril the Squirrel eating them image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I don't find squirrels get tulips - they're too deep for them. It's crocus and small alliums they love here because they're near enough the surface. I put netting over them after planting.

I never put a bed of grit under the bulbs - I find that acts too much like a soakaway and defeats the purpose. Far better to mix plenty of grit through the planting medium. We get a lot of rainfall though, so it may not be so important in drier areas. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • GWRS I have a squirrel called cyril  - the rats have eaten my tulips in pots before so put neeting on think they could smell them though the plastic pots was so disapointing, with the squirrel I have squirrel feeders so they mainly at bottom of garden just find that I am trying to grow monkey nuts sometimes  

Hampshire Gardener

Hello , we only seem to have 1 squirrel and only seem him , assuming , it's a him , occasionally but he had dug up bulbs the little xxxxxximage

Hortico , wonder on size of pot and number of bulbs for double planting ? Any advice welcome image

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Holly leaves sprinkled with a touch of schadenfreudeimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

Hortico , thanks for info , will give it a go image