Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Turf stacking

I am digging up a fair bit of turf in the garden and was thinking of stacking it to use as top soil/ potting compost next year. Should I cover it to keep it dry, or leave it exposed to the elements? Grateful for any advice.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

I think Monty did a piece on turf stacking to make top soil/ compost either last week or the week before on GW. Might be worth looking to see if you can catch up on the bbc iplayer.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE 12 TON OF RURF STACKING IN PROGRESS WE WERE ADVISEDBY THE OTHER ALLOTTMENTEERS TO STACK GRASS SIDE TO GRASS SIDE AND COVER IT UP WE HAVE AS YOU CAN GUESS A HUGE TARPOLINEOVER IT AND IT TAKES ABOUT 6 TO 12 MONTHES OURS OIS 2 MONTHS ON AND IS ALREADY WORKING ,IT GOES DRY AND SOFT  AND MAKES GREAT TOP SOIL GOOD LUCK

SORRY NOT VERY GOOD WITH THIS TYPING STUFF

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

4711, if you don't mind me saying, knocking off the caps lock would make it easier to read your posts - and don't worry about the typing stuff, no-one minds.

Jengil, I dug up a small amount of turf about 18 months ago and all I did was turn it upside down, tucked in any green edges I could see and left it uncovered. I poked some nasturtium seeds into it as I know they like poor soil and I thought the heap would look more interesting. It worked really well, I only had the occasional bit of weeding to do, and after a year ended up with some lovely soft soil as 4711 said.

found the caps lock mi duck

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

I covered ours and it definitely works better, if your turf is at all weedy. Fine weed free lawn turf would not need covering.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281
    4711 wrote (see)

found the caps lock mi duck

:- D :- D

• Thanks for all your help people. Now I just need to find somewhere to put it!