London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
4 messages
15/04/2014 at 23:29

Hi Turtle.  Thanks for the PM.  Mike is always so happy to help out.  Sorry about the misunderstanding.  I really did take it, that your magnolia was containerised.  Lokking at the pics.  I have to say.  Several different ideas, suggestions etc come to mind, plus a bit of personal research.  Yes I can understand your concern.

In brief.  The pics tend to show many different problems.  Don't worry too much about the dark spotting of the leaves.  In this case. The leaves really are the factors.  Magnolias like so many other trees etc.  Have over this past winter, sufferred very much.  Perhaps hard to believe.  Cold winds etc can actually cause burning.  Burning usually is associated with heat.  In this case the opposite.  So some of the damage might be due to burning.  Then there is a definite indication of Iron and Magnesium deficiency..  Also a possible contributor is Lime.  Has lime in some way been added to the soil.  Lime will change the pH balance.  These three components will individually or collectively produce chlorosis, a wishywashy appearance.  As I say.  Some of those winter winds have caused many problems.  In all honesty.  There is, as far as I am aware.  No, off the shelf cure. I suggest a very good mulch of acidic compost.  I can and will gladly research and offer further help. Best wishes and regards. Mike.

16/04/2014 at 03:56

Would a dose of Epsom salts help against the I and M deficiency, Mike?

16/04/2014 at 12:06

To be honest Sue.  I don't know.  Possibly the local garden center will have some proprietry feed containing Fe & Magnesium.  However I fear that probably the frost and winter winds might well be responsible.

If due to climate change etc, we can expect harsher winters in the future.  Then no doubt many well established trees such a Magnolia, will be affected.  Reason fo say this.  The magnolia is such a beautiful tree.  So when planting.  Folks tend to want to show it off to others.  So the tree is left to grow and flourish usually in the most exposed spot in the garden.  In fact, in their natural habitat.  Magnolias prefer dappled sunlight, and protection from winds and severe weather changes.  I am hopeful that our friend's tree will survive if a good mulch is applied.  I can list various possible causes for the damage in this case, but  I think I have covered it well.

16/04/2014 at 13:01

Yes, Epsom salts is a great tonic.  A neighbour had problems with winter flowering cherries and I applied Epsom salts.  Magnesium deficiency I thought. ,amazing transformation and now she uses Epsom salts annually.

Epsom salts for tomatoes too and many other plants.. ....mild ..chlorosis on lupins, for example.

email image
4 messages