Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

twisted-hazel---where-should-it-go

Hi all

I have a Twited Hazel which was untill recently been growing in a pot. It's not been doing very well so I decided to plant it out at the weekend.

It's within 6ft from the house and a few feet from a retaining wall, I have been warned that the Hazels roots could be a problem for me. 

Should I replant it back in to a larger pot? will the roots cause an issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice, sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum.

Many thanks

Mike 

• HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

I had a twisted hazel in a pot too and I planted it in the garden, about two years ago. It's just over 4ft tall now and very healthy. It's very pretty and gives me lots of hazel nuts every year. I'm worried now as I didn't think about its roots doing any damage. It's about 7ft away from the house. Oh dear, is this yet another planting mistake I've done? Can't wait for someone who knows to read this... Will get out spade in advance. I'll be upset if I have to move it and possibly kill it. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Put the spade away, it's not that bad. It you're cutting it back to four feet every year the roots won't be enormous. If you let it go to great heights (that's great in hazel terms, it's not huge) the roots will grow to support it. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Twisted Hazel (corylus avellana Contorta) is normally sold grafted, so make sure that you do not bury above the join. As the roots are grafted onto a less rigourous Hazel species and you do need to prune the tree to keep the twists fresh and not turn into straight branches, the roots are fine and should not damage foundations.

• HaisieHaisie Posts: 108

Phew, thank you nutcutlet. blairs, I don't prune it at all and it twists itself.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Never known the corkscrews to straighten out - can't see how that's possible image

What can happen is that suckers from the rootstock grow and are not removed, these grow straight as in the ordinary hazel, and they will then 'take over' the shru and dominate.  They should be pruned off or better still pulled down and away from the stock at their base as this will remove the growing point. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thats great news. Really didn't want to be digging it up. Thanks for your help image

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,719

This link shows Corylus avellana Contorta... twisted hazel.

It has been grafted on to  Corylus avellana... common hazel.

It shows the suckers....(straight branches) which are from are the common hazel  and must always be removed.

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/contortedfilbert.jpg

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Never known the corkscrews to straighten out - can't see how that's possible image

What can happen is that suckers from the rootstock grow and are not removed, these grow straight as in the ordinary hazel, and they will then 'take over' the shru and dominate.  They should be pruned off or better still pulled down and away from the stock at their base as this will remove the growing point. 

Fresh growth is more convulated than the older stems, which thicken and naturally  get less twisted. The colour also fades.

• my twisted hazel is so twisted it looks like corkscrews.

admired by many but more are confused and think it needs water .

i always take out the straight growth it works for me.

the ground around the base approx 3 ft away from the base is regularly dug over i have no problem with the roots.

happy twistingimage

• I never have any problems with my Twisted Hazel Ive had it years . I always cut the suckers off and look forward to the leaves falling off so I can see the twisted branches , love it !!!!