London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
10 messages
31/01/2014 at 21:00
Today I acquired two thing. A bag of fresh horse manure, and 2 bags of used coffee grounds. As a newbie gardener, I need se Help on what to do with both! Most of my gardening will be container based, so nothing's filled yet, and my new border in the front hasn't been dug yet... There's just one empty border there at the moment!
31/01/2014 at 21:09

LoganBerry,

I would not use fresh manure ...best to allow it to rot a while yet.

Coffee grounds I would use as a mulch.  

31/01/2014 at 21:38

I would mix them together, cover to stop the rain getting in, and let them compost until spring.  I think you'll have some lovely stuff by then.

01/02/2014 at 17:30

What should I keep it in? And where!? Should I add anything to it or do anything?

01/02/2014 at 17:56

Hi Loganberry

I would keep the horse manure in a strong garden rubbish bag tied and leave it in the garden. You can keep the coffee grounds in a tight plastic container and use it as needed-do you have a composter? I put mine in there.

Happy gardening.

01/02/2014 at 19:09

No composter and no room for one doesn't the manure need air to rot properly?

01/02/2014 at 19:30

Yes. Forgot to mention to make a few holes in the bags.

01/02/2014 at 22:15

Have you got stable manure including urine soaked straw or droppings picked up from a field? 

You can use the latter on the garden as it is, though I wouldn't put it on babies. It's the ammonia in the urine that does the plant damage and the straw that needs rotting down. 

I get droppings and they're spread on the garden on delivery.

01/02/2014 at 22:49

Oh Dear!

This touches very much on an ongoing, periodic question.  Horse manure.  Should it be used ASAP or composted?  It will be freely observed that grazing areas, the piles of this valuable comodity are frequently removed.  This I understand is basically due to animal hygene.

Howevr think about it.  That beautiful creature, the horse, spends his/her life chomping away at the grass etc.  The horse, like any other grazing animal, is very much like a walking living factory.   With all it's eating etc, finally a very valuable product is deposited from the rear end.  Please.  Not decrying those who stand by, composting it.  From a scientic aspect.  The constituents of the humble droppings are so valuable.  Practically all the minerals, elements that are so beneficial to the sustainability of the soil.  It is all there in, excuse the quote.  One dollop.  Why let so much of it's values drain away into th ground beneath the compost heap.  Spread it across the plot.  If you have plants etc growing, then by all means avoid the dung from actually touching the plant stems.  The acids and various nutreiments will filter into the soil.  On bare land.  Spread it, let the winter frosts and snows break it down.  Please don't waste it.  Let it do it's job as nature intended it.

03/02/2014 at 10:15
I got some coffee grounds the other day from Starbucks, I've heard they are good for the garden but not sure what to do with them. I was going to post about it then found this. The consensus seems to be to put them in the compost bin but then the mixing them with eggshells idea seem quite good, although I don't have any Hostas (yet!)
email image
10 messages