Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

My umbrella plant is now huge and it has about 3 branches. If I cut off a branch and plant it without a root can it survive?

Any advice appreciated.

fidgetbones

If you stick  the umbrella bit upside down in a glass of water it will usually root. But if you only have three stems I would wait until it was a bit thicker.

I'm not sure that 3 branches and huge are the same

Bookertoo

I'm not quite sure we are all thinking about the same plantt!! Maybe a picture could be shown?

fidgetbones

I'm thinking of Cyperus alternilfolia or involucratus

Apparently the real name is Schefflera and it is a house plant in the conservatory. It is getting too huge for that position, hence the desire to cut off some branches and pot them but will they root OK?

Advertisement

I should have explained it is about 10ft+ tall and has about 3 thick branches whch are between 3ft and 4ft long and would make lovely plants themselves but I'm scared to cut them off as there obviously will be no root.

fidgetbones

Sorry I think I was on a different wavelength.  I don't know how to root a schefflera.

BobTheGardener

If it's this one:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Schefflera_Actinaphylla.jpg

I have just rooted 2 cuttings from one at work which grew too tall.  I just cut leaf-less lengths of stem about 6 inches long and left them for 24h so the ends calloused over then potted them into a 50:50 mix of sand and compost.  They both rooted after a few weeks and are now starting to produce leaves.  Just make sure you pot them the right way up.