Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Under tree planting

Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
I have cleared a new section of bed in my sunny side , clay , full sun (when we get any) , rooty under hawthorn hedge with an young ish elder tree . Not sure now what to plant ....can anyone give me some ideas . I have seen under planting for shade but not full sun.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

I would say anything that grows in full sun, just be wary of the amount of moisture available though as the tree will take alot of it.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Thanks Dave , could be trial and error then ... Goes from very wet (sloping field behind draining through ours) to baked image I shall go for safe bets this year and see what happens .
  • discodavediscodave Posts: 510

I would think if you dig a decent hole and give it a good start with plenty of fertilizer/compost it should be ok. 

image fingers and paws crossed image
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

On my sunny side (clay) I have an area by next doors hedge where I plant shrubs that take my liking. No plan except to watch height (don't want a 12ft giant) and spacing.  Trying to get a balance of flowering and interest through the year. This is on going but so far have planted Kerria japonica(cos I like it - spring) Buddleiea globosa (yellow ball type flowers- earlt summer). Weigelia (early summer , lilac, sambucus nigra, hydrangea vanille frais (late summer) At moment is underplanted with weeds, snowdrops, daffodils, muscari, and there is a lovely large leaved variegated ivy that has come over from next door. It's a do as you like border where I am leaving things to their own devices. 

When full I will start to think about perennials that are large like that very tall scabious. but not yet

I decided that not all garden need to be regimented

Hope this helps imageimage

Thanks Rosa , that would fit in doing that with rest of that side , a real mix (I like mix not regimented image )

It means if you go to a GC and think 'I really like that' you know where it fits in also I find saves weedingimage

I'd take a photo but you wouldn't see much as some stuff is very small - either cuttings or cheap, so is swamped by 'undergrowth'  image

The side I've joined up to starts right at front of house planted by previous land owner, with laurel moving up with birch , willow, hip rose , then pergola with honeysuckles , dog wood, bamboo, birch , tree forgot name of again, spireas, laurel , hazelnut , onto brooms , kerria , yellow dogwood, then it's new bit with hawthorn and an elder. Rhododendron do well out here so planning one of those , some weigelia , filling in with various lupin, geranium, ....I shall end up with a long list image

imageimage

Exciting biting!!!