London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
13 messages
06/03/2013 at 07:29
I have cleared a new section of bed in my sunny side , clay , full sun (when we get any) , rooty under hawthorn hedge with an young ish elder tree . Not sure now what to plant ....can anyone give me some ideas . I have seen under planting for shade but not full sun.
06/03/2013 at 09:38

I would say anything that grows in full sun, just be wary of the amount of moisture available though as the tree will take alot of it.

06/03/2013 at 09:49
Thanks Dave , could be trial and error then ... Goes from very wet (sloping field behind draining through ours) to baked I shall go for safe bets this year and see what happens .
06/03/2013 at 09:56

I would think if you dig a decent hole and give it a good start with plenty of fertilizer/compost it should be ok. 

06/03/2013 at 09:59
fingers and paws crossed
06/03/2013 at 11:24

On my sunny side (clay) I have an area by next doors hedge where I plant shrubs that take my liking. No plan except to watch height (don't want a 12ft giant) and spacing.  Trying to get a balance of flowering and interest through the year. This is on going but so far have planted Kerria japonica(cos I like it - spring) Buddleiea globosa (yellow ball type flowers- earlt summer). Weigelia (early summer , lilac, sambucus nigra, hydrangea vanille frais (late summer) At moment is underplanted with weeds, snowdrops, daffodils, muscari, and there is a lovely large leaved variegated ivy that has come over from next door. It's a do as you like border where I am leaving things to their own devices. 

When full I will start to think about perennials that are large like that very tall scabious. but not yet

I decided that not all garden need to be regimented

Hope this helps 

06/03/2013 at 18:58
Thanks Rosa , that would fit in doing that with rest of that side , a real mix (I like mix not regimented )
06/03/2013 at 19:03

It means if you go to a GC and think 'I really like that' you know where it fits in also I find saves weeding

I'd take a photo but you wouldn't see much as some stuff is very small - either cuttings or cheap, so is swamped by 'undergrowth'  

06/03/2013 at 19:41
The side I've joined up to starts right at front of house planted by previous land owner, with laurel moving up with birch , willow, hip rose , then pergola with honeysuckles , dog wood, bamboo, birch , tree forgot name of again, spireas, laurel , hazelnut , onto brooms , kerria , yellow dogwood, then it's new bit with hawthorn and an elder. Rhododendron do well out here so planning one of those , some weigelia , filling in with various lupin, geranium, ....I shall end up with a long list
06/03/2013 at 19:44

Exciting biting!!!

06/03/2013 at 19:44
06/03/2013 at 21:01

How about some flag irises? These are planted with their rhyzomes sitting on top of the soil and this is essential to ensure they are baked by the sun as this helps with flowering the next year.  I also plant some white cosmos annuals-Purity- the more the merrier, and which extends the season beyond Iris flowering period. This must be the easiest annual to grow ever. nice large seed, one per pot/module. Water and stand back! Plant out late may...lots of liovely foliage too to cover now manky Iris leaves.

07/03/2013 at 21:46

Might you consider some sunken pots of Lily of the Valley for early interest and sunken pots of Crocosmia for later? Also some of the ferns are surprisingly toleant of light and competition with trees/shrubs.

email image
13 messages