London (change)
Fri 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
16 messages
24/03/2014 at 10:14

I have some rosemary plants and their leaves seem to be spotty.

Any idea why this might be ? 

Also I've seen some beautiful flowering rosemary plants, is it a matter of buying a male or female plant with rosemary, sure I've read that somewhere.  None of mine have ever flowered...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40134.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

For info the rosemary is in sandy soil, in an east facing bed.

thank you. 

Edd
24/03/2014 at 10:26
Edd
24/03/2014 at 10:32
Lyn
24/03/2014 at 10:32

Sticky cards? The link is for nematodes. Am i reading wrong somewhere?

Edd
24/03/2014 at 10:36

Sorry lyn that was just another solution to the thrips problem. I am having problems getting/making sticky stuff to put on the cards as it just dries out or goes hard. (golden syrup and vaseline will be the next mix to try) 

24/03/2014 at 11:31

Maybe some sort of fungal disease? It has been a very wet and windy winter. Sorry I can't help further other to say that if you buy a new plant try and grow it in a south facing place as they love lots of sun.

24/03/2014 at 11:41

Yes I think the wet weather has taken a toll on your rosemary Peanuts.  Just too much for too long.  Hopefully dry sunny weather will change it's fortunes.  We will all see a casualty or two because of the constant rain over winter. 

You won't need male and female rosemary  but there are some  very good cultivars out there ...Severn Sea has bright blue flowers, for example, so you dont have to put up with those old insipid flowers we all often see.  I grow Severn sea plus another that I had cuttings from and they look good as flowering plants.

Edd
24/03/2014 at 11:44

It could also be leafhoppers as they cause similar damage. You can try tapping the foliage over a white sheet of paper, to see what you get but the leafhoppers can move quickly. Yellow sticky traps are best to find out what they are.

24/03/2014 at 14:07

Ooh thank you, wasn't expecting something like that.  It ruined the mint in the same bed last year.  So maybe nematodes are the best solution do you think ? It is the perfect place for containing mint, so would like to be able to use that bed again. 

hmm, learn something new every day with gardening...

Edd
24/03/2014 at 14:29

Yes. Nematodes are the best solution but can be quite expensive. I only found out what the problem was at the end of last year and then cut them all back so i am trying to fix the problem now. As a skinflint I will not be using Nematodes and will be using garlic sprays and home made sticky strips. Just have to see what happens, i know they have been about in the last few weeks. The main problem is they are in the soil so it is a continuous battle. 

I will get them!

Regards

Edd.

24/03/2014 at 17:04

Anyone know if I planted something different would the thrips just die off or do I just have to clear the soil or them?  as you say edd, could be an expensive exercise... 

24/03/2014 at 19:43

If I was to clear the bed, would this be an option ? Might be cheaper to buy new plants in a months time than a months worth of nematodes ? Only has rosemary and mint in it currently. 

25/03/2014 at 17:35

Interesting answers as I have the same problem with my rosemary - however mine has been flowering like mad since mid February!

25/03/2014 at 18:45

Still feel it best to wait a while for weather to warm up and then assess rosemary.  Such prolonged wet weather has affected many plants this year.  

26/03/2014 at 09:09

Unfortunately Verdun, they were looking like that at the end of last summer too, and the mint was wrecked, so I'm thinking it was something going on last year.  Now I just need to find the right nematodes.  Any ideas where to get them and how much ?

Edd
26/03/2014 at 09:34

They are not cheap Peanuts 3 but i put a link up just after your first post. I think you can get them from them.

Regards

Edd.

Edit: the link states " where to buy on the left" takes you to a list of suppliers and i have only looked at Amazon so far. They are £5 so not too bad really.

email image
16 messages