Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unhealthy rosemary

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I have some rosemary plants and their leaves seem to be spotty.

Any idea why this might be ? 

Also I've seen some beautiful flowering rosemary plants, is it a matter of buying a male or female plant with rosemary, sure I've read that somewhere.  None of mine have ever flowered...

For info the rosemary is in sandy soil, in an east facing bed.

thank you. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Sticky cards? The link is for nematodes. Am i reading wrong somewhere?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• floraliesfloralies Posts: 2,716

Maybe some sort of fungal disease? It has been a very wet and windy winter. Sorry I can't help further other to say that if you buy a new plant try and grow it in a south facing place as they love lots of sun.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Ooh thank you, wasn't expecting something like that.  It ruined the mint in the same bed last year.  So maybe nematodes are the best solution do you think ? It is the perfect place for containing mint, so would like to be able to use that bed again. 

hmm, learn something new every day with gardening...

Anyone know if I planted something different would the thrips just die off or do I just have to clear the soil or them?  as you say edd, could be an expensive exercise... 

If I was to clear the bed, would this be an option ? Might be cheaper to buy new plants in a months time than a months worth of nematodes ? Only has rosemary and mint in it currently. 

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Interesting answers as I have the same problem with my rosemary - however mine has been flowering like mad since mid February!

Unfortunately Verdun, they were looking like that at the end of last summer too, and the mint was wrecked, so I'm thinking it was something going on last year.  Now I just need to find the right nematodes.  Any ideas where to get them and how much ?