Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unidentified growth in my garden

kilitikokilitiko Posts: 2

Hello,

There seems to be an unidentified growth in my garden.

Please see the image.  It looks like another type of bamboo amongst the black bamboo that we planted last year.  Can anyone tell me what this is?  Is it from my neighbour?  It seems to have found the my black bamboo, if so!imageimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

new bamboo shoots. They'll turn black as they mature over the summer.

Last edited: 04 June 2017 17:11:36

Devon.
  • kilitikokilitiko Posts: 2

Great, thanks for letting me know!  They seem so much bigger than the original plant.

I have not contained the phyllostachys nigra - but this large growth is making me think I should... please let me know what you think...

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

phyllostachys tend not to run too badly, I've heard them described as 'wandering rather than running species'.

which is a good description as they can send runners about a foot to 2 feet away from the mother plants rather than 25 feet of some bamboo's!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I had P. Nigra in my last garden for over 10 years and it neither ran,nor wandered, even on light sandy soil. Maybe I was lucky. Not as lucky as the bamboo as it was dug out by a new owner.

Devon.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

I just go round the clump with a sharp spade in spring to keep the clump in place.