London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
13 messages
20/07/2014 at 11:21

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53122.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Hi, does anyone recognise this, it's intertwined with my honeysuckle 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53121.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

20/07/2014 at 11:24

Mile a minute plant. Fallopia baldschuanica

20/07/2014 at 11:40

Thanks Lizness, is it a weed? Should I try to remove it?

20/07/2014 at 11:49

It's not a weed but it is a very rampant climber - it is not called Mile a Minute Vine for nothing http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/sep/24/gardens1 

20/07/2014 at 17:33

If you don't remove it - easier said than done - you will have little else in your garden for many meters.  You see it in hedgerows now and again, where it looks great, covering an area of 10 x 15 x 10 meters per plant, and dripping with white racemes of little flowers.  Snails adore it as a home too.  We got rid of it from my sons garden where it had been encouraged to grow up a wall, once out the mysterious influx of slugs and snails in his bedroom suddenly stopped! 'nuff said. 

20/07/2014 at 17:38

There is a case for actually placing this plant on the Banned list (like Japanese knotweed and Balsam). It is an awful thug.

Once saw someone coming out of a Garden Centre with three of them! Heaven help their neighbours.

20/07/2014 at 17:42

Hear hear - when this was suggested previously many plant growers started selling it under the 'fallopia' name which at that time was less well known.  There are many weed like plants for sale which I feel should not be - including that red leafed yellow flowered thing whose name I don't recall, which I spend hours removing from pot plants, only to see it offered among basket plants.    Did you speak with the people who had bought 3 of them?

Edd
20/07/2014 at 18:22

JAPANEES KNOT WEED was voted the best/pretty new plant by RHS, Once!!!!!!

20/07/2014 at 19:08

Muehlenbeckia complexa - creeping wire vine, mattress vine, mattress wire weed, to list a few of its 'common' names is another such plant. I removed a twenty metre mat of it once from a courtyard garden in council offices not too far from me.  It was 20 feet up birch trees, about 3 feet deep over the whole area, and I could jump onto it and bounce!  It had smothered every other plant in the garden, and yet it's still sold as a landscaping stalwart. HC

20/07/2014 at 19:34

Bookertoo, do you mean oxidalis?  Several years ago I bought this as a collection with several other plants to go in hanging baskets.  There probably is a post, somewhere on this website, of worst buy and, as far as I'm concerned, this would head my list.  I agree with you, it gets in all my pots, cracks between pavings and everywhere in the garden.  Useless to spray it as it looks dead and then reappears.

I look after my son's garden and have unwittingly transferred it there when moving plants from my garden to his.  Don't spend as much time in his garden as I do my own so it is everywhere including the lawn.  Haven't yet owned up that!

20/07/2014 at 22:18

My next door neighbour has it and it is pouring into my garden and of course they are doing nothing about it.  Been there many years with a depth of many feet of old growth, a frightful fire hazard and my house would go up too.  Once saw a letter on this website from a man who had just planted six against his garage!

01/08/2014 at 18:03

Thank you all for the help. I've carefully tried to extract it from my honeysuckle & managed to cut it away then treated the roots so fingers crossed I can keep it under control

01/08/2014 at 18:59

Good luck Suzy. It may take a few goes to start seeing some results but your honeysuckle and other plants will thank you!  It's always hard when a neighbouring garden has something which invades and there's a limit to what you can do, but at least if it's in your own you can get tough with it. 

email image
13 messages