London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 39 messages
10/06/2014 at 14:39

I purchased 3 conifers about 3 years ago, they have grown into lovely trees and I would love to get some more, but cannot find out what they are called.  They are tall evergreen conifers, with a single main stem with small single evergreen branches coming from the main stem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10/06/2014 at 14:42

Hi Susan 

We would need to see a photo of your trees and maybe a closeup too.  To post a pic on here you have to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post and follow the instructions.  It doesn't work for phones .... yet.

If it doesn't work let us know.

10/06/2014 at 14:50

Images should be there, I can see them on my pc, added them after the mail.

10/06/2014 at 16:04

A few more pictures, not sure it is The False Cypress,

10/06/2014 at 16:06

Just to clarify, the tree's have one main stem, with small branches coming off the main stem, only one small branch at a time, not multiples per branch, if that makes sense.

10/06/2014 at 16:15

I have no idea, but I googled The False Cypress and could not find anything that looked like these. 

Do you still think that is what they are called?  If so I will continue searching.

10/06/2014 at 16:32

Have a look at Cupressus sempervirens cultivars, I have a feeling you´ll find it there   

10/06/2014 at 19:40

Thuja koraiensis?

10/06/2014 at 20:22

The texture of the foliage is similar to a spruce, each branch is very dense.  Looking at all the replies and checking google images I still cannot find anything remotely like what I have.

10/06/2014 at 20:23

..I don't think it's Koraiensis.... I think it's either Thuja 'Smaragd' or 'Brobecks Tower' that someone has been trying to shape into a spiral form... you can see at the top of the first photo,  it's been trained into spiral looks as though a lot has been cut out from the trunk and where shoots have been removed, I can see regrowth beginning, as it does with Thuja's...

..just my idea of it... could be wrong...but it doesn't look like a natural growth habit to me...

10/06/2014 at 21:16 be fair Buddyboy...I'm not so sure now..although I do believe they are Thuja's... I've just re-read Susan's first post and she tells us that she purchased these 3 years mention of any attempt at shaping...I had thought they belonged to someone else and she  took them over...  so it would appear this is after all, their natural shape... in which case I don't think it's Smaragd, as it doesn't grow like that..  here is my Smaragd...5 years old...

10/06/2014 at 21:36's a weird one...I usually pay attention to conifers wherever I see them but never seen one shaped like that... just doesn't look right...

10/06/2014 at 21:49

Thuja occidentalis Degroot's spire has a spiralling habit. Try googling that to see if it's similar.  There are so many conifers, yews and  pines etc that it would be very difficult to get an exact match. If you can remember where you bought them, perhaps you could ask there? If it's a nursery they might be able to come up with a few suggestions.

10/06/2014 at 21:53

Hi all, thanks for all the replies,  I purchased them from a local inexcess garden centre, the trees were as they are now only a lot smaller, never had any cones on them.  Have checked with the garden centre each time I go and have never seen them since, nor in any other garden centre.  I do not hold out much hope now of finding any more, shame because they have a lovely shape to them.

10/06/2014 at 22:06

You may well be right, but I know they were not very expensive £3.00 each. Having gone through pages and pages on the internet nothing looks similar, everything else looks very dense, our you can see through, between the small branches.

10/06/2014 at 22:18

I must admit my first thought was Thuja... the GC you mention is that in G/O ? Not sure where you are but we have a centre nearby that did show at Chelsea a few years ago... Have you asked at the GC or have you just looked for something similar?

10/06/2014 at 22:58

I am near Bournemouth, yes I have mailed the garden centre pictures but waiting on a reply.  Over the years we have purchased various forms of conifers but these are by far the most attractive, and would love to get some more.

10/06/2014 at 23:23

Juniper skyrocket?

10/06/2014 at 23:29

Not near me, so not the GC I was thinking of.   Sorry I can't be of more help, still think it could be some sort of Juniper, but really not sure. I do hope you find out what they are. Good luck.

10/06/2014 at 23:33

Or Juniper Virginiana Skyrocket for all it's name.

1 to 20 of 39 messages