Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

unknown greenhouse seedling

YnneadYnnead Posts: 250

Hi

This plant grew from a lottery mixture (i.e unnamed) of greenhouse plant seeds. Any ideas on what it is?

London

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

It is a bit early to say in my opinion-let it grow for a few weeks then ask again-it might be a cucumber but don't put any money on my answer.

• YnneadYnnead Posts: 250

ok I thought it might be too early lol. Thanks

London

hi got some more pics of the seedling which is a bit bigger. any chance of an ID or still too early?

Its leaves open during the day and close at night.

London

Well it isn't a cucumber-so I withdraw my guessimage

ok cool thats good to know. do u think its too early for an ID? should I give it a couple of months?

London

It is odd about the leaves opening and closing-it is obviously a weird one -someone might recognise it-were there any other seedlings?

There were but not of the same plant sorry. I do have another seedling growing which could be the same but its not got its first leaves yet. It was just a lottery mixture from chilterns seeds. These are just 'small quantities of hundreds of different varieties of seeds' that are just mixed together, according to the description.

London
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Chilterns are very good as regards identifying plants from their  seed mixes. Quite a while ago before digital cameras and computers were maybe invented  I grew a mimosa from one of their seed mixes this grew like yours and the leaves closed up at night. the leaves as they grew  changed - a bit like palm tree leaves.very soft and fringy. Even from a seedling it grew very  quickly . Before I knew it the plant turned into a tall tree.It was put in the garden in a sheltered  corner .After  about 3 years it had little yellow powder puff type flowers .I checked it out to be an  australian tree They can get VERY Tall !.

Unfortunatley it did not survive  a cold freezing and long winter in the 1990's -  . Out of the same packet and it was actualy free too for spending over £20 (I think ) Anyway whatever it was I had a Foxglove  tree ( PAULOWNIA)  germinate .  But  for this one I had phoned them up  described the growth and leaves. They identified this one for me . So its always worth a phone call or in these modern day times an email!

I will be intrested to know what it turns out to be ,so please come back to us with a photo too .- hope this helps. bye for now , Lucky 3.