Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unknown shrub

EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

image unknown shrub

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Espee. It is a honeysuckle. Lonicera japonica 'Halliana'. They tend to be more fragrant at night and therefore attract the moths and other night flying insects.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

p.s. Save it!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You describe this as a shrub and 'Halliana' is a twining climber. Is this a free standing shrub or a twining climber?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

Freestanding Nutcutlet.

Ladybird, just going out to try to detect any fragrance.

Thanks both of you.

image image Absolutely no fragrance I'm afraid.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Hope someone can put a name to this shrubby Lonicera, as we have it as part of our hedge. It is a real seed weed too as the birds love the red berries and spread it all over the garden.

Is it a Lonicera?  I know I described the flowers as honeysuckle-like but I associate Lonicera with a beautiful fragrance.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think that's a lonicera, they don't all have a scent.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,705

Lonicera maackii I would say... not one you see very often...

...I should add that characteristic features are horizontal branches and blooms in pairs... no scent..

Last edited: 29 May 2016 22:50:09

East Anglia, England
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Halliana smells of orange blossom so if your plant has no scent, it is not lonicera halliana. The leaves don't look right either. Also halliana is a vigorous climber and sends out long stems in search of something to cling to. Marlorena seems to have hit the nail on the head with maackii.