Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Unusual red hot pokers......

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

What are your favourite red hot pokers?   A member recently enquired about these plants.  

• I don't know if these count as unusual but I like tawny king which I mentioned on the other thread - flowered earlier than the others, nice and tall and lit up the garden like a torch.

In summer I bought Nancy's Red and it did well from the second it went in the ground -  I might need to move it somewhere prominent. That set me off and amongst others I've got high hopes for next year are Toffee Nosed and Amazing Fun

imageimageimage

Wearside, England.
  • WillsWills Posts: 262

i live in a wind tunnel and grew normal sized red hot pokers last year that i tied to my fence but they snapped in the wind this season i am trying dwarf traffic lights hoping they grow a bit smaller and can stand up to the wind image

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I got Little Maid last year for the patio, it's a small variety and the flowers are white and yellow. It repeat flower when dead headed and I was pleased overall as it was only its first year.

• I didn't think to deadhead- I'll do that this year...

Wearside, England.
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I like kniphofia northiae. It is a monster.

Christmas Cheer

• These looks good Richard.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Don't ask me why but I can't stand them. Weird isn't it how some people develop a dislike to particular flowers.  Hate golden rod and broome as well.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

The only one I have is Kniphofia 'Mango Popsicle' ..... had to buy it just for the name and it hasn't disappointed.

Fits in well with a purple / orange themed border I'm trying to develop.

I just love it ... and so do the slugs!!

(bought from my favourite nursery .. Larch Cottage near Penrith ... well worth a visit).

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • I am going to try a dwarf one from seed this year, planing to pair it with rudbeckia and some grasses with a golden tone (unfortunaly do not know their name).

Anyone else grown it from seed and any tips?

Clare