Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Using Woodburner Ash

YviehYvieh Posts: 85

Hi All,

We have a woodburner, and despite it being the middle of April, its still getting plenty of evening use!  I'm pretty sure the ash can be used on things like roses, but is there anything else that would benefit?  Also, is it just a case of digging it into the soil, or can it be watered in too?  Any advice or tips greatly apprecaited. Thank you.

Yvie

• I too have an open fire and would love to be able to put the ash to good use. Does this depend on whether we burn logs or coal?? Can both be used in the garden?

• We were advised only to use log ash on our garden by our chimney sweep. The amount of potash is small but 'every mickle makes a muckle'. The ash improves the structure of claggy soil but you should use ash sparingly as it can shift the pH in huge quantities. We mix it with grass cuttings and cardboard layers in the compost when it is cool. He also warned us not to burn treated woods as the fumes carry oils that line the flue and the smoke is laden with chemicals. The household wood burner isn't hot enough to breakdown and filter these toxins. If you put that ash on your vegetables you are laying chemicals down on the soil.
  • Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

I add our wood ash to the compost heaps.

• YviehYvieh Posts: 85

Thanks for for the advice everyone.  We only have a wood burner, not multi-fuel, and don't burn treated wood. 

Yvie

• melissa3melissa3 Posts: 4

I use wod ash fro log fires on most flowering plants, sprinkled lightly early Spring and also also around vegetables like broad beans, broccoli and cauliflower (which is a flowerhead of course!)  I find it very useful and though it does raise the Ph it is not as strong as lime - but if your soil is already alkaline then not really advisable.