Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Vandals in Sheffield

WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Was I the only person who saw the vandalism in Sheffield, where the contractors were chopping down mature trees along the streets.  Did nobody try to stop them?  Did the councillors of those areas condone the work?

It was claimed the trees were diseased, but that seemed to be untrue.  They looked particularly healthy.  Councillors represent you.  Did you approve of their doing this?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I don't think it had anything to do with disease.  I got the impression no trees are cheaper to manage than growing trees.  It had been recommended by the management consultants as part of their money saving regime.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I heard the same thing about conker trees. Those which are diseased drop their leaves mid summer. 

The local council here wanted to cut down an avenue of trees in town centre, due to cut backs they couldn't afford to prune them, after lots of complaints the trees are now staying.

We haven't had weeds sprayed this year to save money but the council have realised this is a false economy, the weeds not only look unsightly but the roots eventually will push up the flags and cobbles.

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Lots of big mature trees being felled here in Sheffield, it's causing a lot of upset amongst residents. My road is lined with lovely mature cherry trees that look amazing in spring, but the council l have removed lots of them due to their claim that the roots are damaging pavements. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I seem to recall that the horse chestnuts are not suffering from disease, as such (although there is some evidence of a weeping canker, or something like that, in some trees) but that the leaves are infested with leaf miners - the larvae of a particular moth.  This causes the leaves to turn brown and autumnal-looking early, and the leaves drop prematurely.

This, in itself, does not apparently harm the trees, although there may be as yet undiscovered consequences.  But stopping the spread of the moth is difficult, and it may be that "disease" is used as a shorthand for getting rid of some lovely mature specimens.

As for the wholesale destruction of trees whilst claiming to act on behalf of the population at large seems somewhat perverse.  Nick Clegg is, as Philippa suggests, MP for Sheffield Hallam.  (I think he has a little more spare time these days, so may be willing to help image)

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Once a mature tree is removed, it has gone.  This is council policy.  No trees, no leaves, no leaf clearing.  No blocked drains. Result!

Stuff the residents; they only pay their council tax. Why should they have a say?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I would not normally defend Sheffield Council, but AMEY who are doing the work for them, are at least planting a replacement for every tree they remove.

They have also removed some Ash trees along the border of my property, due to die back and have not charged me.

I do agree that some of the large trees removed were beautiful and should have stayed, although several seemingly healthy trees were independently verified as being diseased.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border